Coating Grill?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Are there any good oils, etc for coating the grills to minimize meat sticking but more importantly to make clean up easier and quicker?

Hi Alan!

The grills should not get hot enough for the meat to stick. Therefore no need to clean. In over 5 years, never run across meat sticking to them. Since the meat doesn't stick, there isn't a need to clean very often.

I clean mine once every year or so and I simply put the grills in my gasser and burn it all off!

If you insist on cleaning them everytime, let the temp get to your level and then wad up some tinfoil and "scrub" the grills.

I can't imagine putting anything else on those grills just to clean them.

Stogie

I have used Pam to keep salmon from sticking to the grates. However, I've done this on the recommendation of others, so I don't really know if it's required. Other than this, I don't find the need to apply anything to keep other kinds of barbecue meat from sticking.

There is now a "Pam Grilling" spray, but I suspect it's just a repackaging of the same old product. If anyone has experience with it, please post about it. You could also apply olive oil or other cooking oil to the grates using a paper towel.

You would think that applying a non-stick cooking spray all over the grate would make it easier to clean afterward, but that doesn't seem to be the case. When I've prepared the salmon and sprayed the whole grate, the overspray on the areas where there's no meat just bakes onto the grate. It does not stay in liquid form and must be scrubbed off.

When it comes to how (or whether) to clean grates, that's a whole different issue and everyone has their own approach. I wash my grates using hot, soapy water after each use. I find that the sooner I get them into the water and let them soak for about 15 minutes, the easier they are to clean with one of those Scotch-Brite-type barbecue scrubbers.

In the past, I found that just brushing the grates with a brass bristle brush or aluminum foil did not get off all the "stuff" I wanted to remove. For a while I burned-off the grates using my gas grill or over the hot coals before I started a cook. The problem with that was that the high heat burned the nickel finish right off the grates, which allowed rust to set in. And if I left the greasy grates in the cooker for any period of time, it invited a lot of ants and other insects to make a home inside my cooker.

I know washing grates isn't for everyone, but my grates are now going on three years old, the finish still looks great, and there are no signs of rust. And to bring this back to your original question, I suspect that the presence of a good nickel finish helps keep foods from sticking and makes cleanup easier.

Regards,
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris Allingham (edited 06-28-2001).]

First let me start out by saying I am a Mr. Clean nut regarding my BBQ equipment and I get those grates bright and shiny after each use including the water pans. Yes and I even degreas the outside and polish up with window cleaner. Sorry can't help myself--smile

Regarding the sticking, I found that when I cook butt for pulling sometimes I get pieces pulling off on the grate (just so tender)--but no other meats so far. I figured the oil would help clean up the baked on crud also. I have been using a brass brush with cleaning detergent in the sink and it works well but if I can sayve myslef 20 minutes cleaning it would be a big help

I would assume regarding the BBQ PAM SPRAY that the difference might be it is a little higher temp oil but will see if I can check that out.

I've used the Pam BBQ spray on my Weber Platinum gas grill and found it quite helpful in keeping chicken from sticking to the grill. Unless I plan to do some high heat cooking in my WSM, I don't think any spray would be necessary.

Peter Hiscox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back