Climbing Mt. Everest

Sounds perfect.

It's brisket so,imo, perfectly cooked brisket should pass the test precisely as you described and will be 'a little dry'. or slightly dry, or whatever. To me this is more a mouth-feel thing, after all it's not rare roast beef nor sirloin. Tender, good moisture content, good smoke ring--sounds like you hit the nail on the head.

Charles -- the flat is the longer wider piece where the meat grain runs (sort of) parallel to the long dimension of the meat and peters out at the thickest end of the meat. Fat cap down, the flat is up. The point, on the other hand, has the strands of muscle fiber running perpendicular to the long dimension of the meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Sounds perfect. Tender, good moisture content, good smoke ring--sounds like you hit the nail on the head. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Da-Yum! It's unusual for me to get something right the first time.
You know how to build a feller's confidence. ;-)

Vernon,
I'm still confused. I can locate the flat, and I know the point is the only other cut present, but I still can't find it in my mind.
Sounds like I'll have to just go get another one and cook it so I can find out which cut is which. (Sigh)

Sounds like it went well, Charles - great cookin'!

When I do a packer, I trim some of the "hard" fat off, but I do go ahead and just slice through a lot of the fat layer between the flat and the point so that it's easy to separate after cooking. Next time I do a brisket I'll take a few pictures along the way to show you how I do that. Makes it REAL easy to separate the two and turn the flat to smoke-ring-side up for pretty slicing.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keri C:
When I do a packer, I trim some of the "hard" fat off, but I do go ahead and just slice through a lot of the fat layer between the flat and the point so that it's easy to separate after cooking. Next time I do a brisket I'll take a few pictures along the way to show you how I do that. Makes it REAL easy to separate the two and turn the flat to smoke-ring-side up for pretty slicing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Keri -- I will appreciate seeing your pictures and explanation also.

Back