Clearing out the freezer!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
We are having our house fumigated, so I've been cleaning out the freezer to reduce the amount we need to figure out how to store for a few days..... Found a Coppa/Money muscle I cut out of a pork butt a few months ago. Dusted it with Dizzy Dust, and popped it on the pellet grill @ 275F until it hit 170F. Bumped the grill to 475F, and left the pork in for 20 minutes while the temp ramped to crisp it. 175F internal when I pulled it. Smoky, tender, sliceable porky goodness!!! :)

1632196692030.jpeg

Whipped up some of my weekly sandwich bread (leavened with my sourdough starter) in between conference calls, too. :) (Love my Pullman loaf pans!)

1632196737168.jpeg

Looks great. I just looked up Pullman loaf pans. I had never heard of them. Thanks
I like the square profile, and pan loaves are much easier as you don't need to worry as much about when you shape them as long as they get enough fermentation. The USA Pans 9" is a perfect size loaf for us for the week (just me, my wife and kid #3 in the house these days.)

Rich, that looks real good. You should save some for your termites final meal!😃 Seriously, I'm sorry you have to fumigate your house, what a pain!

It sucks….
We had to fumigate due to termites. Note that where we live you have gotten termites, or will get them.

We lived in a hotel for 3 days.
1632234123051.jpeg

It sucks….
We had to fumigate due to termites. Note that where we live you have gotten termites, or will get them.

We lived in a hotel for 3 days.
View attachment 37577
Yeah, it's a bummer, but we're taking it as an opportunity to do some purging, so guess we found a silver lining. We'll be at my in-laws place for the duration as they are out of town at the moment. We had a feeling we were in for it when both of our neighbors tented within 6 months of each other. :)

Yeah, it's a bummer, but we're taking it as an opportunity to do some purging, so guess we found a silver lining. We'll be at my in-laws place for the duration as they are out of town at the moment. We had a feeling we were in for it when both of our neighbors tented within 6 months of each other. :)
We had to put all open food in the fridge/freezer into a special bag and left all it in the fridge.

One thing I did not expect was after they removed the tenting, they tested the air to make it was ok to go back inside. I got the all clear so I headed inside and started to put things away then I started to feel really bad. I called the pest control company and they told me that yes, the air wouldn’t hurt me but the pesticide was still present. I had to air the house out for several hours then all was well. The nice thing was the residual was fluoride and we didnt need to clean anything. We still did some spot cleaning and never had any issues.

We had to put all open food in the fridge/freezer into a special bag and left all it in the fridge.

One thing I did not expect was after they removed the tenting, they tested the air to make it was ok to go back inside. I got the all clear so I headed inside and started to put things away then I started to feel really bad. I called the pest control company and they told me that yes, the air wouldn’t hurt me but the pesticide was still present. I had to air the house out for several hours then all was well. The nice thing was the residual was fluoride and we didnt need to clean anything. We still did some spot cleaning and never had any issues.
Yeah, we are getting the bags, but given that the freezer was STUFFED full, there's no way we were getting the food in the bags, and then back in the freezer!!! ;) As good a time as any to figure out what some of those mystery packages were that were buried in there!

Thanks for the tip on the "all clear". We'll probably do much the same in terms of airing everything out, and I suspect my wife will feverishly clean every horizontal surface she can find.......We can't get PG&E out until the day after for gas service reactivation, so I'll have to suffer with cooking on my grills. :)

R

PG&E showed up not 30 minutes after they removed the tent. One thing to remember, I was home when I aired out the house. If you leave it too open and are not home that night, you run the risk of unwanted guests. According to Terminex and PG&E, it does happen.

As to the stuffed freezer, with it being just the two of us (empty nesters!!!), I don’t keep to much on hand any more. With Buds Custom Meats and a couple of CSA farms within a couple of miles, I have been buying it as I need it. Just the other day, I bought a 3 pound flank steak from Buds, cut it into 3 pieces. Presto, 3 dinners.

Mark, DH is helping me weed out some of my binders. He has been working on the BEEF/STEAK binder for a while. Guess what he JUST finished? Yep, the FLANK STEAK section. He said there is roughly over 200 recipes in that section and he has handed me quite a few of them to put in the "Make Soon" folder for him. Soooo, if you ever need any help........ lol

me again lol

Just to get you started drooling for some Flank steak, here are the names of the last 4 recipes DH gave me to put in the Make Soon folder (in no particular order-lol)

Flank Steak-Pepper Pasta Toss
Korean-Style Beef Tacos
Old No. 7 Flank Steak
Papaya-Marinated Steaks

The last flank steak I cooked was “marinated” with Chipotle Tabasco for a couple of hours folled by SPG and cooked on E6 with JD lump. I am struggling a bit right now as I, like you, have hundreds of recipes but I am realizing how similar they are.
My other issue is I love to cook so I have to balance grilling/smoking with all the other things I like to cook.

Back