Cleaning the WSM

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
In the past I have cleaned the smoker at the car wash and ended up wearing half of it. This time I just took the scrubber that is used to clean the grates of a gas grill and gave it a good going over. This removed all the loose particles which is all I really needed to do. I wish I would of cleaned my weber grill the same time. I have been putting it off and paid for it this weekend. Had a massive fire in it while I was cooking steaks. Charcoaled the steaks and thought the grill was going to burn down. So any you folks putting off giving that grill a cleaning do it now.

I think I saw the smoke from right here in McKinney!!
LOL
Not a laughing matter, I know..... had that happen to me 2 summers ago and I have learned to clean more often, especially on the gas grills!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Funny I should read this after just coming on from giving my Silver B a good cleaning. Used a metal spatula to scrape the sides of the grill as the walls had a good bit of "gunk" built up. Also used a wire brush on the flavorizer bars and scraped the bottom on the cast iron grates.
My one question is at what point should you replace the flavorizer bars? Mine are about 3 years old and are still solid, just have a bunch of surface imperfections (some rust spots and the enamel is worn off it seems).
Jamie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jamieson Syrek:
Funny I should read this after just coming on from giving my Silver B a good cleaning. Used a metal spatula to scrape the sides of the grill as the walls had a good bit of "gunk" built up. Also used a wire brush on the flavorizer bars and scraped the bottom on the cast iron grates.
My one question is at what point should you replace the flavorizer bars? Mine are about 3 years old and are still solid, just have a bunch of surface imperfections (some rust spots and the enamel is worn off it seems).
Jamie </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I replaced mine when gunk got stuck on them and started catching fire on a regular basis. I got 5 years out of mine. When you replace yours, pay the extra money for stainless steel. They'll last much longer than the original porcelain coated steel.

I agree with Erik H.

I replaced my bars when they were rusted enough that everything was sticking to them and I would have fired on those spots. I think they lasted about 4 years. That grill gets used1-2 times a week in the winter and 3-5 time s a week all the rest of the year.

I was very happy with the longetivity of them!

I replaced my grill bars and flavorizer bars after three years. Here in Toronto, they got rusty by then. We use the grill during the winter, so it's never really packed away.
One recommendation - don't forget to regularly change the aluminum drip pan. That can be the cause of many fires.

best,
Mike

Back