Cleaning the water pan

If I did think about it, I probably wouldn't, as I typically take the oven racks out when running the self-cleaning cycle-- there would be no place to put the pan that wouldn't touch the bottom heating element. I figure the (mine, anyway) water pan is always foil-covered during cooks, and it doesn't contact food at any time, so there's not really a compulsion to get it that clean. Brillo pads are more than sufficient for what little needs to be done.

Paul, do a search in this section for 'self cleaning'. Yes some do use the oven.

I have done 3 or 4 empty pan cooks without foiling my pan. The gunk had built up and baked on. Finally. I did a 20 hour butt with water. I just added water to the pan (left most of the gunk in it). After the pan cooled from the cook, I thought it would be a huge pain to clean. I removed the gunk. Then went to the sink with just liquid detergent. Came out 98% clean with just a little elbow grease. The best policy is to use wide HD foil-2 layers and remove a layer after a cook.

Had a "Home Ec" class in junior high once. The teacher thought it would be a great way to clean the cookie sheets - just put 'em in the oven and set on the cleaning cycle. They came out all shiny and clean.

She was later pulling a batch of cookies out of the oven and they dumped all over the floor. Seems the high heat took the strength right out of the cookie sheets and the one folded from the weight. They were ruined.

Don't know how that applies to enameled water pans, but it was kinda funny.

I wouldn't bother. I use sand and I only cover the top of the water pan with foil. I don't worry about the bottom. True it's a little grungy (mostly flaking carbon) but I just leave alone. It makes a little mess when I take it out of the WSM and set it down to change the foil but it's no big deal. I just brush the little flakes off my utility/bbq table. If I cared, I'd put down a sheet of paper and throw the mess away. Again, it's just built up carbon.

I don't bother to get my water pan squeaky clean either. I just clean it with one of those sponges with a scratchy side and some soap. If there is build up I don't bother trying to get out.

I would be afraid self cleaning oven cycle would ruin the water pan, and if there is a lot of build up it would smoke a lot. Although sometimes I do put my grates in my gas grill cranked all the way up. Easy way to clean, but probably hard on the finish.

I still don't get the big deal with cleaning the water pan. When I use the Weber water pan, I foil the outside with one piece of foil. It just fits.

If the water level goes down significantly during the cook, I can get some build up inside the pan right at the water line. An overnight soak with water and dishsoap and it always rinses right out.

Same with the Brinkmann pan, except it takes two sheets of foil to cover the outside.

All my water pans are just like new.

I've just never thought of a good reason for me to cover the outside of the waterpan, so I never have. However, I've found that spraying the lip of the pan and down several inches with pam before adding the water makes the gunk much easier to clean.

Paul

Back