Cleaning product to clean your grill & grates?

Those won't be as powerful as the angle grinder and wire cup brush, but those should help you clean up the grates well. However, those are not designed to be used with an angle grinder, you need something similar to the HF wire cup brush.

The rain stopped for a while late evening yesterday so I was able to get out and work on it for a bit. I used EZ Strip All Purpose Remover on that section of the grate and I'm sure I've stripped it down to bare metal and those are definitely pores/pits on the grates.

The exterior finish is a #4, so it's a brushed finish. I won't be using any steel wool pads the surface. I'll try the EZ Strip and one of those green kitchen sponge and see if I can remove the yellowish/brownish oxidation on top of the lid.

A friend is going to lend me an angle grinder this weekend. I'll use it for those tough spots on the inside. Should I use a wire brush wheel or should I get something similar to the polycarbide wheel from Harbor Freight? The wire brush seems very abrasive. I don't want to grind a hole through the metal. lol

Thanks for all the help, gentlemen!! Much appreciated!!

I would not use an angle grinder and brush on any of the parts made of sheet steel. You're looking for trouble there. I don't know why you just don't buy some Easy Off and some scotch brite pads. It'll clean up just fine that way

I would not use an angle grinder and brush on any of the parts made of sheet steel. You're looking for trouble there. I don't know why you just don't buy some Easy Off and some scotch brite pads. It'll clean up just fine that way

Using an angle grinder seems like the easy way to get the job done quicker :D

I guess back to HD later this evening if I have the time. If the Easy off don’t make things look more presentable then I’ll be grinding away on the grates!

Go ahead and grind away on the grates. Don't use it on the sheet metal. You'll have way more damage than you can imagine in a heart beat

Get this: https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-crimped-wire-cup-brush-60321.html

Use it on the grates, the cook box, the end caps, etc... You would have to try to damage any of those items by using it.

You could also get the angle grinder for $12.00
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-...zIjoiMTEuOTkiLCJwcm9kdWN0X2lk IjoiOTc2NSJ9

Use coupon code: 33213125

The cheapest crimped wire cup at HD in my area is $23! Unfortunately I don’t live close to the border close by a Harbor Freight.

Yah, That is the pits. I didn't even realize you were in Canada. I know HF will ship, but not sure about north of the border or the cost. Seems they are pretty expensive every where else online.

It does seem they offer shipping to Canada. Not sure if it is feasible, but check this out: https://www.harborfreight.com/customer-service-shipping-delivery.html

Thanks Bruce for looking that up but I think it’s too much trouble to go through for a angle grinder and a wire cup.

Maybe I’ll just try those wire cups with the drill and see how they work out at grinding down those grates.

If you watch the Canadian guy Boltr on You Tube he regularly buys HF stuff in Canada (Eh?) *sorry could not leave that alone LOL"
Anyway he always talks about hitting his local HF and also makes note that many of the things he gets at HF are also sold at Canadian Tire. When I was building my deck last year we needed an angle grinder and I got one from HF with coupon for about $9. It does get a little hot if used hard but who cares for $9.

Larry: I actually looked at the Canadian Tire web site and could not find a reasonably priced suitable alternative to the HF 4" wire cup brush.

But yah, I treat most of the HF tools like a cheap Chinese throw away grill. You use them until something goes wrong with them and then buy a new one. If you don't use it a lot or hard, it will last a lot longer and be a great, economical tool to use a couple times a year and will probably last 5 years.

Back