Cleaning my Weber Grills and Smoker

Terry Murphy

TVWBB Fan
Happy Smokin New Year ! I wasn't sure where to ask this question, so I'm posting it here. My cooking grates are getting real nasty. I use my wire brush to clean them while they're still hot, , but still can't remove all the residue. Same situation when I use hot soapy water. Is it safe to use a good oven cleaner, then wash them real good afterwards, and do a pre-burn ? I still have my manuals that came with my q-toys, but can't locate them at this time. I'll find them when I'm not looking for them !
icon_wink.gif
Thank you in advance for your help.

Terry what i did with the original grate when i got my CIG´s was to put the grate in a big plastic bag with some green soap and a bit of water overnight. Next day scrub it off with some steel wool (svinto to be exact,its wool with some soap in it)

I cant say its as good as new but it sure took away some of that build upp stuffs that form when used alot and only brush clean before eatch cook.

Try it.

Thanks, I think if these Grates were stainless steel, I could use oven cleaner. Since their not SS I think the oven cleaner my be to caustic. Thanks for the reply.

I have had good luck putting mine in the dishwasher, at least until my wife caught me and figured out why her dishwasher was dirty.
I also have been thinking that I could get my performer really hot and put the grates in it and let the high heat burn the crud off it they ever got too bad.

Mike

I usually just brush them off.

About twice a year I'll brush off both sides, spray them with Simple Green, and then into the dishwasher.

I fire up one of the 22.5 grills and then put the grates into to bake for a few hours. I also clean the Q 200 grate the same way.
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Mike Freel:
I have had good luck putting mine in the dishwasher, at least until my wife caught me and figured out why her dishwasher was dirty.
I also have been thinking that I could get my performer really hot and put the grates in it and let the high heat burn the crud off it they ever got too bad.

Mike

Ditto. She said, What's all this black stuff around the edge? I said, uhhh i dunno.

Now I use the performer. Build a nice hot fire, spread out the coals and through the grates on the coals for about 10 minutes, then scrub. If you have used water in the pan you can dump the water/grease mixture then throw it upside down on the coals. Scrub and then it is nice and shiny.

Terry,I've been known to put them on my Genesis for ten minutes or so,then giving a good scrubbing with the grill brush while still hot. Works like a charm!

I usually cook something on the Performer the next day after a smoke and leave them on the hot grill for about 5-10min until all the gunk is hot and wire brush them clean.
Worked out great for me.

Dump a bag of Matchlight (only thing it's good for) in there and light it. Get the grates nice and hot and brush off, flip over repeat. Works great.

Everything burns off or gets scrubbed off with the grill brush. My CIG's I clean the same way.

if you have a gas grill, before every cook, i let it soar up and pin the needle. If i have to clean the grates of the charcoal, i just lay them in the gas grill and do the same thing.

otherwise i just bring them up to temp and use a wire brush and then cook.. or wire brush them right when i'm done and they are hot.

i highly advise against matchlight, et al. if you use them in a closed kettle or smoker it can, and i have seen it, literally blow up.

About once a month I put all of the grates in a black plastic lawn bag and hose them down with Zep oven/grill cleaner (Home Depot). Close it up and put the bag out in the sun for most of the day. All the stuff just hoses off. I never use a wire brush or steel wool. They come out just as bright and shiny as the day I got them. Plus I'm very lazy.

Russ

Before a cook, rub down the grills with a paper towel soaked in vegetable oil. (As a side benefit, this paper towel is then used as a fire starter in the chimney starter).

This keeps everything clean, and also prevents meat from sticking to the grill, which is what causes a mess in the first place.

Then after a cook, when grills are still warm, scrub down with a crumpled piece of tinfoil.

Try placing your grates in a hot grill and close the lid for a few minutes. Turn off the grill and gently scrub the hot grates with a grill brush or grill pad. Works quite well. Also, try a rolled up piece of aluminum foil to clean bits of meat clinging to the grate. No need to dirty up the kitchen with greasy grates and messy hands. I like my equipment clean before every cook so I found this works well for me.

Back