Cleaning kettles: Anyone use CLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul A.B.

TVWBB Member
CLR liquid - could that be used to clean the crud off a kettle, including the smoke stains on the lid vent?

Opinions?

Every now and then I like to give my kettle a good cleaning, but soap and water just don't seem to get the job done.

i use oven cleaner for the heavy stuff. then brillo pads with soap for the rest. then i go over it with fine steel wool for the "polishing" and last with plain soap and water to finish it off.

Like George I use oven cleaner then wash with soapy water and rinse with clean water - this method works well I just did my kettles and performer this way last weekend.

Cheers

Howdy hi,

So, what do you folks do with the runoff from the caustic chemicals. Down the driveway? Down the street? Down a floor drain? In the yard?

I'm always in a quandary for a good way to get rid of the "pollution" in the cleaning solutions...

###

I have river pebbles ontop of my garden and have an area where I use for such type cleaning. It is not as thouigh it is used on a continual basis and it does break down over time. If you are worried about polluting the area. Dig a hole and fill it with a mixture of vegetable matter/grass clippings and dirt leave it for about 3 months and then use it for cleaning with caustic cleaners and soap the bacteria from the rotting vegetable matter helps break down the soap and caustic elements quicker. Obviously you dont use the area for cleaning if the water table is near the surface.
Take it to a car wash and clean it there.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back