Cleaning and Removing cleaning system on One-touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werner

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

Yesterday, I after years of cooking on my One-Touch Silver Kettle, I decided to clean it really well and scrape off some of that buildup that had layered over the years over the porcelain.

There was a enough of a buildup to have bent the fins such that there is now a gap between the fins and the bowl. So I tried to unscrew the wing nut on the bottom to try and disassemble the fins to gently bend them back to a shape that will form better to the bowl again.

Long story short, snap. It snapped off. Still works but not sure how to get it disassembled. I cannot for the life of me remember how this went together. Anybody have any tips to best get this apart?

Anyone have tips to bend these back afterward? The fins are in pretty good shape still. I figure a pair of channel locks to gently bend them a bit to get them better fitting to the bowl.

Thanks in advance

Werner

That's why you're not supposed to clean them! Same thing happened to me. I tried drilling the wing nut, but still couldn't get the handle out. I'm curious how others dealt with this.

I cut the ash sweeper handle that the wing nut attaches to with a dremel andd the assembly will pop right out. Only took a min to get through it.

I have removed both kinds of ash systems. In both cases you really need a dremel and a cut off wheel. Realistically just cut off the handle as close to either side of what ever is holding it on. Flip the grill over on the top so the legs are sticking up. One style looks like a big hex nut and the handle goes through a hole in that hex nut, and the handle is held on with a thumbscrew. The thumbscrew is prob fused together with rust. Ideally you could get the thumbscrew out. If you can't get it out, then cut the handle off on either side of the nut with the dremel and it should all fall out right away. It's really the same thing for the one that looks like an electrical plug. That handle really holds everything in place.

OK, the one that looks like and "H" is the newer style used on OTG's and Performers. It should be made of Stainless Steel. It comes apart in a completely different way.
My suggestion, the older ones that have rusted out screws, cut them off, buy a new one for about $12. The H drive, should come apart with a little effort.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:
I have removed both kinds of ash systems. In both cases you really need a dremel and a cut off wheel. Realistically just cut off the handle as close to either side of what ever is holding it on. Flip the grill over on the top so the legs are sticking up. One style looks like a big hex nut and the handle goes through a hole in that hex nut, and the handle is held on with a thumbscrew. The thumbscrew is prob fused together with rust. Ideally you could get the thumbscrew out. If you can't get it out, then cut the handle off on either side of the nut with the dremel and it should all fall out right away. It's really the same thing for the one that looks like an electrical plug. That handle really holds everything in place. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So mine is definitely the older style since it looks like it has a hex nut. Too much gunk on it to see too much detail though.

I saw two different cleaning systems on Amazon so that explains the "H" one I saw. Wasnt sure whether it was a newer style or to a different grill like the Performer.

Re Steve, I probably should have just left it, you are right. I have had it for years and the buildup was getting thick and inconsistent thickness and making it harder to sweep. Figured I would get it looking like new. That will teach me.

In the grand scheme of things, does it matter which style one buys to replace the old one? Is the "H" style better than the hex nut/thumbscrew style? Can I use either?

No they will both work, the H style one I believe is stainless and considered premium. That's the one that comes in the performer. It will work on any grill. Don't be upset about having to replace it. Once you get the new one in you'll be happy you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back