Cleaning 5 year old Genesis

Shawn Gardner

TVWBB Fan
I am doing a big clean up of my grills and wanted to post a couple of questions quick here. I want to clean the inside of my 5 year old Genesis and was thinking of using oven cleaner. Do I need to remove the flavorizer bars and burners when I do this? I plan to just use degreaser on the outside but wanted to really give the inside a good cleaning.

Shawn,

I would not use the oven cleaner inside my grill - too many chemicals in it. I would remove the flavorizer bars and then use a grill cleaning brush to remove any buildup, etc, You can even "scrape" away some of the debris.
For the outside, I use Greased Lightening as a cleaner.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Shawn,

I would not use the oven cleaner inside my grill - too many chemicals in it. I would remove the flavorizer bars and then use a grill cleaning brush to remove any buildup, etc, You can even "scrape" away some of the debris.
For the outside, I use Greased Lightening as a cleaner.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Ray mentioned... I like to use a grill brush to knock everything loose and down into the drip pan. I don't use any cleaners on the inside of the grill. As for the outside of the grill. I like to use organic all surface cleaner. They can be found in the home cleaning section in your local grocery store.

The above statements are great and the way to go, oven cleaner I do not like using it on my oven, but I have to, I would use Simple Greenor a similar product as it is safe, and SOS ,or Brillo pads, a plastic putty knife, and a small wire or plastic brush. I would also try to do this in a shady spot as it will keep the soap from drying out to fast rinse often and enjoy.
Kevin

Guess I'm in the minority here. About once a year I take everything apart and hit the inside of the grill with oven cleaner. I don't use it on the burners or anything to do with the gas line. But I lay out the flavorizer bars and grates on the driveway next to the grill and spray them too. Wait 15-20 minutes and scrub/wash it off. Then I follow it up with a was from regular liquid dish washing detergent. Let it all dry off, put it back together and heat it up for 20 minutes or so.

I think it depends on how deep you plan on cleaning. If your not taking the grill apart then stay away from oven cleaner, you won't get it all out. If your disassembling the grill then oven cleaner is perfectly fine. Like Jeff said just be certain to wash it off thoroughly with soap and water then give it a good long burn.

I use a pressure washer and that will just about remove anything baked on and no chemicals required. After the high pressure bath I reassemble and fire up the grill and heat to very high to dry out everything.

Back