Clean Up Question

Nick Cosby

TVWBB Fan
I was wondering the best way to remove stuck on cash off the bottom of the cooking chamber of my 26.75, not the grill grates the actual porcelain?
Thanks
KCCO

Figures. Everybody else with all the luck. I get gunk and he gets stuck on cash. It'll burn off with use or you can go over it with mild soap

Won't that scratch the coating?

It hasn't on my 1998 'Bar-B-Kettle' - and I've used everything up to, and including a wire brush directly on the porcelain. Multiple times too - not a single scratch into the finish.

Mind you I'm not getting crazy and digging harshly into the finish. Only applying as much pressure as needed to get the thoroughly cleaner-soaked gunk loose from the finish.

I'm to lazy too use a drip pan. A few times a yr I'll do a burn-off like Dave. For quick clean up when the sweeper blades are hard to turn, than an old 5 in 1 tool.
PC is pretty hard to scratch and if you do the grease or gunk will cover it up.

Tim

I have dedicated tongs for my briquette/lump managing and I just scrap the ash off with that. Doesn't scratch but I guess I'd try it on one spot in case you have hardcore tongs. Recently I did ribs and apple juice ran into the grill and made an awful mess and there was nothing else I could do but soak it with dishwater with the vents closed, scrub it with the scrubby side of a sponge with soap, then rinse it all off until that grill was sparkling.

Laura
Wishing my grill would make cash at the bottom after grills - sigh.

I have dedicated tongs for my briquette/lump managing and I just scrap the ash off with that. Doesn't scratch but I guess I'd try it on one spot in case you have hardcore tongs. Recently I did ribs and apple juice ran into the grill and made an awful mess and there was nothing else I could do but soak it with dishwater with the vents closed, scrub it with the scrubby side of a sponge with soap, then rinse it all off until that grill was sparkling.

Laura
Wishing my grill would make cash at the bottom after grills - sigh.

I have the weber style three piece SS set.

Let me suggest something I've done. It has to be done in warm /hot weather. Empty out your grill, and close up the vents. Heat up a big pot of water, and let it come to a boil. 5-10 gallons isn't too much. Once it boils, take it off the fire and add about half a bottle of Dawn dishwashing soap. Pour that soapy water right into the grill and put the lid on. Let it cool for 20 minutes at least, then scrub out gently with a NEW SS wool pad. DO NOT use Brillo. (the stuff is too fine.)

for years, i've been using a regular putty knife without scratching the porcelain.
using it as a chisel WILL damage the bowl, but if you're in no hurry and Tender Loving Care is adadministered you'll be find.
i've done this over time with many Weber Kettles (and i've been known to cook a lot)
the best time to clean kettles is:
• when the weather is fine (gives you time to clean them all, if you have more than three)
• when the wife or "S.O." is not around to boss you into other meaningless projects
• when your cooler is filled with your favourite brew, giving you the freedom to relax while you clean
and
• early in the day giving you time to set it up again for a TREMENDOUS KICK@$$ cook.

no the ss wool will not scratch the pocelain. well unless you put yer full body weight behind it. been using it for years. i've had stuff so hard that it looks like chipped porcelain but its just really hard stuff. that i have had to use either a bluny svrewdriver or single sided razor blades.
be carefull looking for ss or brass wool as many out there are just coated steel wool. probably ok but does promote rust.

I use a urethane hammer - it's the same one I use for ice breaking on the deep freeze, breaking up large lump charcoal, etc... and I tap at an angle on the dried "fixins". I am able to get most of the baked on stuff that way. I wouldn't worry about it though, that is all just good flavor your trying to remove.

The people over at National Geographic have been trying dig in my Weber for years;-)

I have the weber style three piece SS set.

Nick - I have a dedicated tong for ashes/briquettes/lump because it pretty much gets permanently dirty. While I'm sure those tongs would be fine to scrap off the cash problem you're having ;), I am thinking that set of tongs is too nice to do so. But if you wanted to, I'm sure they'd be fine.

Laura

Yeah, I was in an emergency situation when grilling a while back and those were my only option to grab with and am now using those for that purpose until I get a new pair of tongs. Can I actually clean them so I can use them again for food handling? I do now have a pair of Weber Gloves to handle hot objects is why I ask.

Last edited:
What is this "clean up" procedure you speak of?

Ka-ching LOL.

But seriously if like me you cook indirect and don't use a drip pan, you can fire up the kettle and it will look like this.

IMAG0488.jpg

Tim

You can get 30 half size aluminum hotel pans at warehouse stores for around $6. They take up about half the charcoal area on a 22" kettle and I use them whether cooking indirect or not. When direct grilling, it keeps a cool safety zone available. A great bonus is that grease and fat either goes in pan or on the coals.

I use a small, plastic putty knife.

I also start with a plastic putty knife, but on my 22.5 kettle. For stubborn stuff I will use a brush or even flat screwdriver CAREFULLY. Not a scratch, but if it did, the grease would cover it quickly anyways.

Back