Clean Up 2000-vintage Silver B

Interesting page I found below

spoiler alert: Usually, 0000 steel wool is equivalent to 400 to 600 grit sandpaper.

note near the end: Unlike sandpaper, 0000 steel wool is less likely to scratch surfaces.

Interesting page I found below

spoiler alert: Usually, 0000 steel wool is equivalent to 400 to 600 grit sandpaper.

note near the end: Unlike sandpaper, 0000 steel wool is less likely to scratch surfaces.

Well yeah, that was kind of what I was thinking as well. I had already experimented with sandpaper on an already really faded control panel and did not get any better result.

1) How to get that "tough grease/grime layer" from parts of the outside top grill? Stronger degreaser? Carefully take that razor blade again? Other?

Simple green, razor blade, 0000 wool.

Doing the 10 year clean up takes a while and some effort. But sooo satisfying and rewarding. Amazing how they clean up like almost new.

1) How to get that "tough grease/grime layer" from parts of the outside top grill? Stronger degreaser? Carefully take that razor blade again? Other?

Doing the 10 year clean up takes a while and some effort. But sooo satisfying and rewarding. Amazing how they clean up like almost new.
I'm especially amazed at how the inside of the lid literally looks brand new after you finish doing it.

Interesting, those do look really nice. I would have liked to seen the before. What grit sandpaper did you use?
This might be a good representation. That is paint overspray on a Genesis silver hood. Was a free grill I'm using for parts

Attachments

• PXL_20230620_125314319.jpg
    PXL_20230620_125314319.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 15
I could see how that 2000 grit would help. Looks like it polishes it more than anything. Likely could accomplish same with a little fine steel wool and mineral spirits.

You guys using the simple green at the typical diluted ratio or at full strength for this task? I was using the diluted. I guess I will stick with that especially because the real action is going to be from the razor blade

Sooo, the razor blade, some simple green and a dobie pad got the front of the porcelain top nice and clean

However, on the TOP of the grill (outside) the top has some hazy whitish discoloration. It seems really smooth to the finger though. I tried a little steel wool and it didn't seem to change it.

Here is a picture (I had to use manual focus on the phone camera because otherwise it was basically taking the reflection in the mostly-shiny top)

I DO use a cover all the time so I don't think this is "sun damage" or something.

Any good ideas to clean this? As I can't tell whether it is something baked on top, or whether it is discoloration of the top, I don't want to do something too aggressive that will make it worse

20230623_165923.jpg

Sooo, the razor blade, some simple green and a dobie pad got the front of the porcelain top nice and clean

However, on the TOP of the grill (outside) the top has some hazy whitish discoloration. It seems really smooth to the finger though. I tried a little steel wool and it didn't seem to change it.

Here is a picture (I had to use manual focus on the phone camera because otherwise it was basically taking the reflection in the mostly-shiny top)

I DO use a cover all the time so I don't think this is "sun damage" or something.

Any good ideas to clean this? As I can't tell whether it is something baked on top, or whether it is discoloration of the top, I don't want to do something too aggressive that will make it worse

View attachment 73214
That is the Weber fade. IDK what a Dobie pad is but if it's anything akin to a ScotchBrite DO NOT use it on porcelain

That is the Weber fade. IDK what a Dobie pad is but if it's anything akin to a ScotchBrite DO NOT use it on porcelain

Ok so nothing to do about it then.....makes it easier I guess!

The Dobie pad is a non-scratching kitchen pad...but as you can see it is made by ScotchBrite. I don't think it has the power to do anything to this porcelain though...it is pretty gentle

There isn't anything you can do about the fade on the lid. I think it's either caused by heat or sun, maybe both. Whatever it is, it's under the porcelain finish unfortunately.

Fade is heat and sun degradation you are exactly right Steve. Nothing to be done about it aside from refinishing so, learn to live with it or, find a donor lid. Sad but true.
4x0 steel wool is MUCH more delicate than a Dobie, which WILL scratch glass, remember enamel is glass.

Back