clay saucer on overnight

Dave O

TVWBB Super Fan
Doing my second overnight brisket, this time using the clay saucer. Have to say the temperature control is way easier than using full water pan. Any body notice the lid temperature almost matches maverick readings ?

Mine never does until the meat gets up to temp ! And how long it takes to equal out on mine depends on how full the cooker is ymmv. Only problems I have found with the clay saucer deal is IF your going to baste I get massive temp spikes if the lids off much more than 30 seconds ! So if iam gona have to baste somthing I go with water in the pan ! Spikes are easier to control for me anyway . but if Iam doing chicken the clay saucer is just fine .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave O: Have to say the temperature control is way easier than using full water pan. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Quicker to get up to temp, I understand. Also, easier to achieve roasting temps....sure, but EASIER to maintain temps for a low and slow cook?
icon_confused.gif
How so? As Guy already pointed out, it's definately easier to control temps with a water pan if you're taking the lid off much.

Back