Clay saucer in newer WSM 18 (721001)

One more question about this...

In the past I'd make sure to foil the water pan so that the foil wouldn't touch the surface of the bowl because if it did, the grease would burn and make everything taste nasty. Using the saucer, do I need to worry about burning the rendered grease or does the clay not touching the bowl take care of that automatically?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by Jerry P.:
Foiling the bottom of the water pan keeps grease and sludge from building up. It also keeps the finish from cracking.

Has anyone actually seen the water pan finish crack if not foiled (and, I assume, using water). I wouldn't think the water pan would crack (at least not within warranty) if water was used to moderate the heat.

I have tried using an 11.5" saucer and I can tell you that it is not enough heat sink to keep the temps down to 225 -- unless you COMPLETELY close the lower vents which eventually kills the fire. I'm willing to try a 14" saucer based on the comments here, but I have to say that I find it difficult to believe that foiling and using a clay saucer will make cleaning any easier. That, to me, would leave the sole purpose for useing a saucer or any other heat sink besides water to be simple less fuel required.

At this point, unless I see a major change with a 14" saucer, I for one will go back to water. I don't find the cleaning with water to be at all odious or time consuming. (BTW, I got the 11.5" saucer because it was the first I could find, it was made in the USA and a big smoke was upcoming for Memorial Day. It worked, but I think the small size made it difficult to maintain the temps I wanted.) Rich

Originally posted by RichPB (richlife):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry P.:
Foiling the bottom of the water pan keeps grease and sludge from building up. It also keeps the finish from cracking.

Has anyone actually seen the water pan finish crack if not foiled (and, I assume, using water). I wouldn't think the water pan would crack (at least not within warranty) if water was used to moderate the heat.

I have tried using an 11.5" saucer and I can tell you that it is not enough heat sink to keep the temps down to 225 -- unless you COMPLETELY close the lower vents which eventually kills the fire. I'm willing to try a 14" saucer based on the comments here, but I have to say that I find it difficult to believe that foiling and using a clay saucer will make cleaning any easier. That, to me, would leave the sole purpose for useing a saucer or any other heat sink besides water to be simple less fuel required.

At this point, unless I see a major change with a 14" saucer, I for one will go back to water. I don't find the cleaning with water to be at all odious or time consuming. (BTW, I got the 11.5" saucer because it was the first I could find, it was made in the USA and a big smoke was upcoming for Memorial Day. It worked, but I think the small size made it difficult to maintain the temps I wanted.) Rich </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you can't keep your temps at 225 without totally closing off the intakes I think you might want to start checking for leaks from the access door, out of round center section, etc. The saucer will serve as thermal mass to stabilize temps but won't really remove heat like water. You should be able to do 225 with an empty water pan too, you'd just get more temp fluctuations.

Well ...

The 22's water pan should measure 18.75" across.

Some like the saucer to sit 'on' the pan and others like it to sit 'in' the pan.

So, allowing for foil, you're probably lookng for something around 16" ~ 18".

Thanks, Travis. I haven't even been outside yet today to take the measurements.

Gonna grab one today, as well as a brisket for tomorrow.

I use an upside down 16-1/4" Terra Cotta Saucer in the water pan of my 22.5 WSM. I foil both the water pan and the saucer individually. Then I finally foil the water pan with saucer inserted upside down in it. Makes for easy cleanup.

The largest one they had at the home depot close to me was 14".

It sits in that big bowl just below the edge. I've foiled them both, but I have it sitting right side up to catch the drippings.

They had a 12 and then 16 inch at Lowes today. Nothing in between.

I wrapped the 12 with foil and turned it upside down in the pan of my 18.5 WSM. That created a good bit of air-space between the 12 and the bottom of the water pan. If turned right-side up, the 12 sat much lower and was just off the bottom of the water pan.

Cooked a 6.5 pound bone-in turkey breast.

Two Weber starters full of Kingsford briquets, with some hunks of hickory. 100% on vents.

Temp pegged!!! the thermometer within minutes. It wrapped the needle almost back around to 0. Dialed vents to about 20% to get it to 325 within 45 minute of start.

Kept vents 20 to 33% to keep around 325 degrees.

2 hours from start of cook; turkey was 170 or so throughout. Let it rest in oven. Sliced 30 minutes later.

Turkey was moist and very good. There was very little grease on top of the saucer, and it was not burnt.

The turkey cooked much quicker than I had expected based on past cooks even with a dry pan and no clay saucer. Our super-hot weather -- see below -- probably contributed.

I will try the saucer next for my first stab at a high-heat brisket cook.

I think I will probably stay with H2O for my pork butts, which go low and slow for 12+ hours.

I put my lid on the ground in the sun as the Kingsford got ready. The temp was 100+ here today. The WSM lid temp read 150 just sitting in the yard! I had to wear gloves to handle the black parts of the WSM.

I picked up the lid and put it in front of a fan in the shade and watched the temp drop. I think I could have cooked salmon without coals today.

I noticed that the 12.25" saucer sat down in there quite a bit.
I decided to give the 14" saucer a try. I foiled it and did a test fit in the water pan without removing the 12.25" saucer. I left it that way and now have 2 saucers in the pan.
More mass two seperate air spaces.

Better.....Stronger...Faster.....?(Six Million Dollar Man voice)
I have no Idea, I have only done one cook that way but everything went well. Can't be that much difference.

I am going with it under the "two saucers are better than one" theory. What the heck you only live once.
icon_biggrin.gif

Reviving an old thread...

One question I didn't see answered was whether it would be a problem if the bottom grate sat on top of the saucer. I have a 2012 WSM 18.5", and when I foiled the pan and the 14" saucer, the saucer sat high enough that the bottom grate was just hitting the top of the saucer. I was able to push the saucer down a bit into the bowl, but it was still hitting the grate. Is this a problem? Will there be too much heat radiating off the saucer on to the bottom grate?

Thanks, everyone!

Never tried the 14", but I can tell you that the 12.5" clay pot base works great. It sits down in the pan and you just foil the top of the pan to catch drippings as you would if it was empty. Just so you know though, I still prefer water in the pan for long butt cooks and ALL rib cooks.

I often use a 14" clay saucer wrapped in foil all by itself. No need for the water pan at all. I use the water pan for ribs. I really like the saucer as opposed to the water pan. I shimmed the bottom of the grill straps with two quarter inch washers and the saucer sits securely in place. You can try it without the shims and it works too but it can fall into the coals if you move the smoker.

Why do you use the water pan for ribs?

I'm going to be smoking both brisket and ribs. My intent was to use the water pan (dry) with the saucer sitting inside. Is this a good plan?

Thanks! I :wsm:

Scott, reason I use the water pan for ribs is that it helps control bark formation before tenderness is achieved. I've foiled ribs, and but in my experience, that works no better than simply smoking old school at around 250* with water. Notice I said 250*, not 225*. Smoke too slow and you'll get dry ribs, water in the pan or not. Of course, the quality of the meat and under vs. over-cooked is always critical.

If you want to smoke a brisket and ribs though, I'd probably use a dry pan with the saucer and foil both the ribs and the brisket.

If you want to smoke a brisket and ribs though, I'd probably use a dry pan with the saucer and foil both the ribs and the brisket.

Dave: That's what I'm doing...even as I write this. In contrast to my last cook (dry pan, without the saucer), I think I have better temperature control with the saucer. During my last cook, the temperatures were really "twitchy," and the smallest vent adjustment would result in significant temp changes. Today, I've had a much easier time keeping the temps where I want them.

Thanks so much for your comments!

Last edited:
What is the advantage to using the cay base in the water pan?

The saucer goes in the water pan. Just nest it in.The edge of the saucer will be slightly higher than the edge of the water pan. There will be an air space between the bottom of the saucer and the water pan. I have the older WSM so I can't speak about the new size pan. I foil both the saucer and the water pan for easier cleanup. Suggestion---take the water pan to wherever you go for the saucer so you can check the fit. Don't worry, the people in the store will only think you're a little crazy.

Back