clay pot method?

George, you may not get all the drippings but just foiling the single saucer in the bottom of the water pan seems to be what most do. You could also foil the water pan itself. I don't think you need the additional mass of a 2nd saucer to do what you want to do.
I started out with a 22 when I was learning and you're right that pan is a monster especially for those who use water in it.
I just use a foiled saucer only in my 18'5 but may go back to placing it in a waterpan because I have cracked two, I think from thermal shock.

Thanks Gary S. I do foil my water pan and the clay saucer. I'm going to just use one saucer and foil it and the pan. Those clay saucers are expensive so I'd put it in the water pan. I paid $15.00 each at Lowe's yesterday for two (2) clay saucers. That's as big as they carry in the clay saucers. Thanks for your response.

You're welcome.
One of the members here, Don Reid I think, uses a round steel disc and is very happy with it. Apparently Harry Soo just foils the heat deflector that Weber uses under the WSM and that is just light aluminum. I would like to try something like the disc but getting it made up and the cost might be prohibitive unless you have some connections. I think the concept of any heat sink like sand, gravel, whatever will work, it's just a matter of how much mass and what is available. The saucer seems to be an easy solution.
I pay $14 and change up here for a 14" which fits my 18.5.
For whatever reason (maybe just me) I still like using water with my ribs and for that I have the Brinkman pan.

couldnt you just use ceramic briquettes in the pan lined with foil it would "fill" the pan better then a clay saucer and you could fill it up

Back