clay pot method?

I think I'll go back to Lowe's this afternoon, following ODU's pummeling of Notre Dame in the televised 1st round of NCAA B-Bawl, and pick up a 16-incher for this weekend's 1st cook with my DigiQ DX.

I couldn't wait - to end all speculation, here's a photo of a 16 inch saucer inside a 22.5 WSM water pan (and wouldn't you know it, it STILL sits basically on the bottom of the pan
icon_rolleyes.gif
:

http://yfrog.com/jcsaucerwithpankj

Originally posted by Doug Wade:
Thanks for the picture - I guess if you flipped the saucer upside down you would get more of an air gap?

I tried that and it didn't seem to make much difference.

I'm no fizix kind of guy, but I'm thinking that the "heat sink" properties (absorption of heat) of using a clay saucer have more to do with the composition of the saucer than that space of air existing between the bottom of the water pan and the bottom of the saucer...

Then again, if you've read my previous posts in this thread, you'll note that I've yet to fully grasp the fundamentals of properly reading and interpreting the results of a simple folding rule.

Originally posted by R L Bagwell:
I'm no fizix kind of guy, but I'm thinking that the "heat sink" properties (absorption of heat) of using a clay saucer have more to do with the composition of the saucer than that space of air existing between the bottom of the water pan and the bottom of the saucer...

If the benefit's from the thermal mass that would indicate to me that it would be easier to just buy/foil some fire bricks and put them in the pan instead of worrying about fit at all.

[/QUOTE]

If the benefit's from the thermal mass that would indicate to me that it would be easier to just buy/foil some fire bricks and put them in the pan instead of worrying about fit at all.[/QUOTE]

Doug, you may be right - anyone tried that technique?

I've seen references to people doing it, or even with regular bricks, but haven't tried it myself. I could use a couple of fire bricks for another project, so if I ever get my butt down to Home Depot I'll pick up some extras and try it.

As an aside, one thing that's frustrating about reading about the clay saucer techniques is how many people try it without ever having done cooks with just an empty pan. There's not really a good baseline to show how much any of these options really improve things. I've done 225 degree cooks with an empty pan and it was just fine. Still, a little extra thermal mass would be cheap insurance.

I also wonder with a 22" if the extra thermal mass of the unit itself, the extra air inside, and the fact that I usually have a full charcoal ring to start means it's inherently more stable than an 18", at least if it's not windy. I haven't really heard any comments either way - this is pure speculation on my part since I've never even seen an 18".

i think you are right doug. an empty pan will keep temps verey stable as well, but i think the clay pot or firebricks is safe insurance for the overnight cooks. The wsm is very stable with or without water.

I foiled over an empty pan in the 22". Just made a "flat" cover, I didn't push the foil down.

Worked great. I am not worrying over the clay saucer in the 22".

Originally posted by Terre Hooks:
I foiled over an empty pan in the 22". Just made a "flat" cover, I didn't push the foil down.

Worked great. I am not worrying over the clay saucer in the 22".

Terre,
What were you cooking when you did this?
Any problems with drippings?

Well that's sort of how the hasty bake pits work. Fire box in the bottom and a sheet metal block to disperse the heat/smoke.

Just seems kinda weird to be dragging that basketball-sized water pan around if I'm never filling it.

Maybe I'll put a cake in the water pan and under the clay saucer--like a 350 deg dutch oven. Ha

I used the 16 inch clay saucer in my 22 WSM and it works just perfectly. It is a stable heat sink and wont boil or evaporate away as will water. I brine chickens and boston butts anyway, so the addition of more fluids in the water pan is potentially a moot point. However, if moisture remains to be an issue, simply take a metal pet watering bowl from the dollar store, fill it with liquids and put it on the cooking surface beside a cut of meat. Honestly, using the clay saucer is so easy and I cant tell a bit of difference.

Yesterday I used a 14.5" clay saucer with no water pan in my 18.5" WSM and it ran rock solid for 6 hours at 240 to 250ish with one bottom vent open about 10% and top vent fully open. At the end of the cook I closed all the vents to snuff out the coals and have plenty of coals left for next time. I am well impressed with this method and I will be making a hanging basket out of my water pan !!

I've got one smoke under my belt with the clay saucer. Done plenty with water. My saucer barely fits down in the dish. Worked like a charm! I won't go back,and am going to give it a real run this weekend! BTW,I have the 18.5 incher.

Originally posted by Shane R:
Yesterday I used a 14.5" clay saucer with no water pan in my 18.5" WSM and it ran rock solid for 6 hours at 240 to 250ish with one bottom vent open about 10% and top vent fully open. At the end of the cook I closed all the vents to snuff out the coals and have plenty of coals left for next time. I am well impressed with this method and I will be making a hanging basket out of my water pan !!
Wow, this is interesting and very impressive if it works consistently.

Clay Saucers

I know HD and Lowes sell a 16" clay saucer that may work better in 22.5 WSM. Not sure if there is a larger clay saucer out there that is easily available and cost effective without special ordering it.

I just stepped up to a 22 1/2 incher from an 18 1/2 inch WSM. I went to Lowe's and bought two (2) 16 inch clay saucers ($15.00 each) to have one as a spare if I ever broke one. To my dismay, the thing literally sits in the bottom of the water pan, unlike the 18 1/2 which sat at the lip of the water pan creating quite a bit of air space between the bottom of the pan and the clay plate. Now, I ask the question, does anyone thing turning it upside down which will create about an inch of air space and putting the other one on top of it (Foiled) to catch the drippings ? OR, since these suckers are pretty heavy does anyone want to comment on just foiling the thing and sitting it in the bottom of the water pan to catch the drippings would serve just as well and also it would catch the drippings ????

I've been using a clay saucer for my 18 1/2 for over 3 years, never have used water and I consider my cooks very good, and even though I use a Guru DigiQ DX2 Temp controller, My 18 1/2 stayed NAILED on whatever temp I set the controller to. I ALWAYS closed all vent but left the top one about half-way open and it would stay nailed on my target temperature, which is usually about 225. I can't believe how huge this water pan is on the 22 1/2, but a 16 inch clay plate just sits in it. Any suggestions ????

Thanks in advance. :confused:

George, you may not get all the drippings but just foiling the single saucer in the bottom of the water pan seems to be what most do. You could also foil the water pan itself. I don't think you need the additional mass of a 2nd saucer to do what you want to do.
I started out with a 22 when I was learning and you're right that pan is a monster especially for those who use water in it.
I just use a foiled saucer only in my 18'5 but may go back to placing it in a waterpan because I have cracked two, I think from thermal shock.

Back