clay pot first smoke

Jay Lopa

TVWBB Fan
I have smoked 25to30 times on my wsm and have allways used the water pan.Today was the first time i used a clay pot in place of the water pan to smoke a brisket and what a different experience. Man i am hooked takes a little more tweaking of the vents but wow what a better product
icon_biggrin.gif

Hello folks...

I am just dying to try this method out. Only problem I am having is finding a 14" Terra Cotta Saucer. Looks like I might need to wait until Spring arrives before I can find it here.

DarrenH

The clay pot came from home depot it has a number 36 on it .Fits great in the stock water pan with foil on it .No need to check water, No big clean up,It may have used less fuel,Great bark on the brisket,Chicken that i put on had great skin not rubbery. The only thing is you had to close down the dampers more than when you use the water pan
wsmsmile8gm.gif

how would it be any easier with clean up? the water isn't the problem, it's all the drippings and fat. I assume you foil it to make clean up easier?

Also, I presume this method would act the same as sand in the pan... adding a more solid heat sink that doesn't need replenishing. And would act sort of like quarry or pizza stones in the oven - evening out temperatures. Which is essentially what water and sand do in the WSM...

unless I'm misunderstanding the whole premise here.

Originally posted by adam clyde:
how would it be any easier with clean up? the water isn't the problem, it's all the drippings and fat. I assume you foil it to make clean up easier?

Also, I presume this method would act the same as sand in the pan... adding a more solid heat sink that doesn't need replenishing. And would act sort of like quarry or pizza stones in the oven - evening out temperatures. Which is essentially what water and sand do in the WSM...

unless I'm misunderstanding the whole premise here.

Nope you seem to have a solid grasp of the whole process, foil, wad it up throw it away, solid heatsink, just like the others.

I didn't try sand because the clay base and sand were at the same store, and I figured that it would be the neatest of the two choices.

Is the clay pot you are using the same thing you would put a plant in? Or is it some sort of disc or saucer. I'd like to give this method a try but am a little confused on the actual thing being used.

Hello Folks..

Well, I was finally able to locate a Terra Cotta Saucer (14.5") from my local garden shop.
The 14.5 jut fits neatly inside the WSM water pan by resting on the inside lip.
It looks good and I can't wait to try some product using this method.

thanks.

DarrenH

Back