CL 26 incher score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branon S.

TVWBB Super Fan
This grill had been on Cl for over a month and I figured it was taken. I contacted the owner on a whim and he was more than happy to knock off a few bucks to get rid of it. It's in pretty good shape except the bowl has several littl dings and some cracks in the enamel. Nothing a little high heat glossy black paint couldn't fix. Of course I didn't notice the damage until after I got it home. It even came with a cover.
IMG_4372.jpg

Christened it with some roadside chicken.
IMG_4371.jpg

Unfortunately, it cooks so much differently than my 22.5" I'll have to practice all weekend long.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:
How much did you get it for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't you just hate it when people brag about their CL scores and don't tell you the price? I got it for $200. Figured it was a good deal since these are fairly new to the market and not many people have them.

That sounds like a decent price. I recently acquired an '85 26 that had never been fired up for $175, but it had no cover and was missing the charcoal grate. OTOH, it was shiny and ding free.

Practice makes perfect. I inaugurated ours with a leg of lamb.

DSC_5115-PP.JPG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Practice makes perfect. I inaugurated ours with a leg of lamb.

DSC_5115-PP.JPG
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That makes me want to try some lamb!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Branon S.:
That makes me want to try some lamb!!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do it! I followed Raichlen's directions for SMOKE-ROASTED LEG OF LAMB PROVENCALE except I started with a 12 pound leg. (More details on my blog I cannot post links to that here.)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David DeVivo:
HANK the leg looks phenomenal ! I must do this soon. I must ask....what is the great grate for ? Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's a cast iron grate from a Lodge Sportsman Hibachi. I like CI for grilling veggies. I had planned to do those as the lamb was finishing up but my timing was off.

DSC_5123-PP.JPG

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:
Is it just me or do the cooking grates sit lower on all the older kettles? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Not just you, they do sit lower. The charcoal grate is 19 1/2" in mine and 22 1/2" in the new one. I suspect there is a size difference in the cooking grates as well as I've heard that newer cooking grates will not fit the older 26" grills. (At least the Craycort CI grate.) I have no idea if the same is true of the 18 1/2" or 22 1/2" grills.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by David DeVivo:
HANK the leg looks phenomenal ! I must do this soon. I must ask....what is the great grate for ? Dave </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That looks like the grate from a Lodge Sportsman's Grill. Basically a high end cast iron Hibachi.

PS - Sweet 26s gents and the lamb leg looks killer!

HANK...about the leg...it seems to have the rump as well ? I don't find these here in upstate NY, at least in the Markets. Was this a custom cut, or off your own pasture ??? this makes for one wicked presentation ! I would do this for my neighborhood assoc. picnic as Pres. WOW, and I can smell the rosemary now, !!! Dave is drooling profusely. I'm breaking in my restored performer with a test butt, and then going directly to the magnum leg.

HANK...about the leg...it seems to have the rump as well ? I don't find these here in upstate NY, at least in the Markets. Was this a custom cut, or off your own pasture ??? this makes for one wicked presentation ! I would do this for my neighborhood assoc. picnic as Pres. WOW, and I can smell the rosemary now, !!! Dave is drooling profusely. I'm breaking in my restored performer with a test butt, and then going directly to the magnum leg. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think it went up to the back bone. It was a cryovac pack I picked up at one of my favorite local groceries. I suggest looking for a regular meat market or asking at your grocery. Some of them can get far more than they normally put in the display case. Also check out stores in more ethnically mixed areas.

I just finished the last bit (aside from what I froze) today for lunch and I still love it. It's one of the best lambs I've ever cooked. I even made stock form the bones and I've made some lentils with that.
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back