Citrus marinade for chicken...

Tim Johnson

TVWBB Super Fan
My wife asked If I could do a citrus marinade for chicken for my next chicken cook. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks all...

I'm quite fond of mojo, and of molho de piri-piri, but like many others as well. I am quite fondof grapefruit-based marinades for chicken and those with grapefruit-lime mixtures.

Citrus juices are quite acidic as you know. Excessive marinating time can cause the chicken flesh to 'cook' in the marinade as the acids denature the proteins. Three ways to combat this: Don't marinate too long (especially important for b/s chicken breasts; make the ratio of non-acids (like oil) to acids high; use less citrus juice and more citrus zest to keep the citrus flavor up but lessen the acid load.

Here's a thought (with options):

1/3 c grapefruit juice, preferably freshly squeezed ruby red but quality commercial is fine*

zest from 1 lime or 1/2 a grapefruit

1 medium clove garlic, pressed

2 t granulated onion

2 t minced fresh thyme or 1 t dried

freshly ground black and/or green peppercorns (I like both)

1 T Dijon mustard

1/2 t salt

1/2 cup evoo

Whisk all but the oil together in a small bowl till smooth. Whisk in the oil in a slow steady stream.

* any combo of juices can be used here--grapefruit alone or mixed with lime and/or lemon and/or orange. If using sweet orange (rather than sour orange), keep the amount small relative to the other juices as sweet orange can be overwhelming. Don't use sweet orange zest here, balance any sweet orange juice addition with zest from lime, lemon or grapefruit.

That's a basic one. You can, for sweetness, add 1/4 c of minced onion or red bell pepper. A little sage and/or marjoram can be added.

Alternatively, an 1/8 c of minced cilantro, a t of Mexican oregano and a pinch of cumin can be added. (Good with a mix that includes lime.)

Alternatively, with a more lemon-based one, add oregano and marjoram, or add rosemary and oregano and up the garlic a bit.

Alternatively, add a t or two of of a good curry powder or garam masala.

Alternatively, with a lemon-based one, add 1.5 t minced fresh ginger, or add the ginger, plus 2 t of mashed pickled serranos plus a good pinch of allspice.

This marinade is light on the salt as it is assumed you will salt your chicken--pieces, parts or whole--lightly before cooking.

4-6 hours. To go a lot longer--say, all day--I'd suggest adding some water, about 1/4 c, to the juice(s) at the outset and adding another pinch of salt or two.

Thanks K... I'm doin a couple chickens today... I'll try this marinade next time around... and thanks again!
icon_biggrin.gif

One of my favorite chicken recipes is a Mexican style whole chicken. Butterfly the chicken by cutting out the back bone with some kitchen shears and then just crack the breast bone so the whole chicken lays flat. Squeeze a lime or two over the chicken, sprinkle on some garlic powder, chili powder (or cayenne), some salt and pepper and grill over a low heat. Serve with hot tortillas, chopped cilantro and onions and another squeeze of fresh lime.

Back