CI - which side up?

Steve Hammer

So I have been checking out the weber web site, and looked at some assembled weber gasses at the HD, and both show the CI grates with the flat side up. I have always had mine with the pointed/narrow side up. Any thoughts on which is the better way?:confused:

I run mine with the flat side up, more heat contact and because Weber told me to do it that way.

Flat side up for two reasons.

First, it supports the meat better, keeping it from sinking down into the crevasses where it can stick and be difficult to turn. This is more important with softer food.

Second, with the points facing down grease drips off easier. It tends to spread out on the underside if the flats are down

But -- either way works OK as you have found. Take your choice!

-Tom in Ventura

I think it depends on the set. The set I have from Weber is designed to be narrow side up. The left to right cross bars would interfere if used the other way. The CI grates on my Wolf and my Broilmaster are also made to be used narrow side up. On the Broilmaster they're actually diamond shaped as you have to turn them upside down to use the adjustable height feature

I used to have mine pointy side up and after reading the whys of having the flat side up I tried it that way. I now much prefer the flat side up for all the reasons stated above by Tom.

Back