Church BBQ

Doug Lax

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi Folks,
Two years ago I did a BBQ that I called Memphis in May . The size of the church has grown and my class will be about sixty people. How many pounds of shoulder should I use for that? I want to err on the side of overdoing it.

Figure on a 50% yield on your meat, so if your crowd will eat 1/3 lb each, you'd need to start with 40 lbs. Adjust according to how much per person you expect to go through.

I recently smoked seven pork butts for a friend's farewell party. There were about seventy people in attendance. We didn't even touch the last three pork butts and we still had plenty left over from the first four. I would suggest going with five at about 8 lbs each as Steve suggests.

Interesting side note on my big cook, one of the guys at the party I cooked for has been a vegetarian for over two years. He fell of the vegetarian wagon for some good smoked pork butt. I'm not sure if it something I should be proud of or feel guilty for, but I took it as a complement nonetheless.

-Scott

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ScottF:
I recently smoked seven pork butts for a friend's farewell party. There were about seventy people in attendance. We didn't even touch the last three pork butts and we still had plenty left over from the first four. I would suggest going with five at about 8 lbs each as Steve suggests.

Interesting side note on my big cook, one of the guys at the party I cooked for has been a vegetarian for over two years. He fell of the vegetarian wagon for some good smoked pork butt. I'm not sure if it something I should be proud of or feel guilty for, but I took it as a complement nonetheless.

-Scott </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Be proud that you set him back on the righteous path
icon_smile.gif

Just finished a huge one for our church this past Sunday. About 150 people stayed (probably 100 adults, 50 kids). Did 8 butts (about 56 lbs before trimming) on the 22 and BARELY had enough. A few select people got 2nds.

It was a great fundraiser for our youth group!

Back