Chugging along

Scott Dace

TVWBB Super Fan
Even though I've had my bullet for over a year, I'm still amazed at how it will just stay at a steady temp once its dialed in. Of course, I'm sure if I didn't have this sight to get tips and tricks from, I would be chasing temps all day and night like I had to with my Brinkman...(shudder).
Here's the run down. Fired her up at around 6am, using a full ring of packed lump, 1/2 chimney of K (MM). At 700 I tossed in 3 mesquite chunks and threw on a brined shoulder. She has held steady at 275* since then (its now 10:42) The outside temp is 33* with a slight 5-7mph wind from the N.E.
It just amazes me is all.
icon_smile.gif

I hear you. With 4 overnight "set and forget" cooks under my belt I'm going to try my biggest cook ever- a 14-pound packer brisket that will be part of a Christmas day buffet. It's going on tonight to cook low and slow, hopefully ready to be pulled sometime late morning/early afternoon tomorrow.

It's like 10 degrees outside, so I'm hoping for some of the "Minion Magic" this evening!

John P

Nice. I'm doing a prime rib xmas day. But I don't believe that will take more than 3 hours @250* (I'm shooting for 130* internal). Its a big one too, like 90 bucks...had to do unspeakable things to the wife to get that. I'd love doing a full packer but our local Cosco doesn't have them. I'll have to go to my butcher I guess.

Hey, just noticed that you're a Massachusetts guy. I got this brisket from Fairway Beef co. in Worcester. A little bit of a hike from you, but worth it IMHO. This was a choice-graded untrimmed whole brisket for $2.49 a pound. That seemed like a pretty good price to me.

Good luck with the rib roast! I did an 11-pounder on the grill last Christmas so we could use the oven for pies and such. Came out great esp. at low temperature- everything comes out the same "doneness" that way. There's a little more pressure when there's a hundred bucks worth of meat and a tableful of hungry relatives factored in, eh?

Happy holidays!

John P

LOL. Yep, born and bred. $2.49 is a good price, I'll have to call my cousin who lives in Worcester to see if he can scab me a packer. As far as the holiday pressures, we wouldn't have them if we sucked at BBQ.
icon_wink.gif

Happy holidays to you also!

Scott

Back