Chuck Times......again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirk J

TVWBB Member
Sorry for asking what's been posted several times, but the amount of posts, actually confused me more. Chuck Roast was on sale this week, and I've never done one so I picked one up just under 6 lbs. According to Stogies web site, I should plan for 3 hours/lb. even with foiling. Chris's recipe on this site, took only around 1 hour/lb...is that because it was a roll? From other posts, it seems times fall all over the place....anywhere in between that. So is the general opinion still 3 hours/lb? That's not a problem, I just don't want it getting done in the middle of the night.

Sounds about right. I did one-- chuck roast that is-- last weekend and remember it taking a bit longer than the ribs, so 6-7 hours. Go by your thermometer in any case, rather than by time. I pulled mine off at 188*.

Thanks Doug...how much did your roast weigh? Everything else, I do go by temp, but again .....confusion. According to Stogies experiments, time is more important on a Chuck Roast. Obviuosly tenderness, time, and temp will all be the final factors, but like I said, I'm just trying to get a ballpark for time, since this will be an overnighter. Based on posts, this seems to be the least consistant cut of meat in terms of cook time.

Weigh? Er, um, uh, last week's garbage is already gone.. Notes? Ahh, hmm... Well, it was about 10x12" when it started and 2" thick, and fit in a 9x9" Pyrex dish when it was done! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif About 2.6 lb, I think.

You can't compare the 3 lb. chuck roast Stogie cooked to the 15 lb. chuck roll I cooked. In the case of the 3 lb. roast, it took 9 hours to become tender, or 3 hrs/lb. If you take 3 hrs/lb. and multiply it by 15 lbs., you get a 45 hour cooking time! No way!

Mine was also foiled for an hour longer than his.

In the end, these suckers are done when the internal temp says they're done.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back