Chuck roll

chris comer

TVWBB Super Fan
All out of TX BBQ brisket rub and am doing a Chuck Roll Sunday. Was thinking about using the Southern Soccur rub. How do you think that would work or do you guys have other recommendations? I like things spicy so would I need to adjust the ingredients in that rub or will it be spicy enough?

It'll work if you're not looking for much in the way of flavor or heat. If, on the other hand, you are, numerous combinations would be better. It's a pretty boring rub, the mustard is nonsensical, the paprika will have no flavor cooked for a period of time. That leaves you with sugar, black pepper and cayenne. Ho-hum.

Got any chilies?

I knew you were going to ask, but I really don't, I haven't studied up on what to buy and where to get them. Where could I find out about the different characteristics and flavors and availability of some peppers?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
I get many pepper varieties from Sweet Freedom. Occasionally from WorldSpice and Penzey's. Some info in on those sites. Additional info on chilies of many kinds can be found here and here. Peppergal, a seed supplier (and good for those), also has info. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll put in a recommendation for Peppergal if you want to grow your own peppers in the future. It's been a few years since I have ordered from there, but I always had excellent service, excellent germination and the description of the peppers grown from the seeds was spot on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chris comer:
All out of TX BBQ brisket rub and am doing a Chuck Roll Sunday. Was thinking about using the Southern Soccur rub. How do you think that would work or do you guys have other recommendations? I like things spicy so would I need to adjust the ingredients in that rub or will it be spicy enough? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This one I've found pretty close. I do think good peppers or Chili powder makes a big difference. I like Penzeys. But other very good ones have been mentioned, too.
Texas Rub Clone
--------------------------------
1/4 cup salt
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs black pepper
1/2 tsp cayenne
4 Tbs paprika
1 Tbs granulated garlic
1 1/2 Tbs granulated onion

Back