Chuck Roll Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
Having a tough time with my first chuck roll. What is a minimum meat temp for pulling a chuck roll? I prefer firmer rather than softer.

First off, the early shift butcher sent me home with a cross rib roast. Did some checking at TVWB decided it was not a chuck roll.

Only a couple of hours had passed and the meat was in a cryovac, fortunately for me the meat manager agreed to take back the roast.

He had not heard the term chuck roll before but I told him it was for low 'n slow and he sent me home with a boneless blade roast. Hope I got the right cut, it's appearance matched the description on TVWB. Suggestion for TVWB: a regional cross reference for cooking terms, ingrediants, meat cuts and unusual items (what the heck is 1 Cup of Crab Boil?).

Started the 19 pounder at midnight last night, watched it until 4am. At 10am I came back to it and the coals had nearly extinguished. In the dark I mistakenly closed all bottom vents intending to open them fully! Oh the horror!

At midnight tonight I saw a meat temp of 165. WSM was running out of fuel and I'm out of time. I put it in the oven at 275. Have to go to bed and will check it in a couple of hours.

BTW: For all you other Canucks out there looking for a Maverick ET-73, I am buying one direct from them for retail + $10 S&H. It's taken a few emails but been worth the effort. I only found two web vendors carrying that product who ship to Canada. One was too pricey, the other had too high S&H & duty fees. Since NAFTA, electronics made in the US are not subject to duty, so don't let them rip you off.

Regarding the cuts of meat, you can print one of the Meat Charts in order to give your butcher a visual reference. Not sure this would work for chuck roll, as the charts tend to show retail cuts, not the subprimals like chuck roll, but it will work for a pork butt, for example.

Regarding a cross reference of ingredients, there is a site called The Cook's Thesaurus that does this, including photos. For example, do a search on "crab boil" and you'll get an alternate term "shrimp spice", a do-it-yourself recipe for the seasoning mix, and substitute ingredients.

Remember, you can Google most any term and find lots of helpful references, including shopping for ingredients.

Regards,
Chris

The beef cut diagram links on TVWB didn't seem to indicate the exact position that particular cut came from otherwise I would have printed it off and taken it with me to the grocery store.

After checking the meat charts on TVWB, when I went back I told the butcher a chuck roll was a sub-primal cut of chuck primal. Somehow, we bonded at that point.

Just to be clear, the cross reference guide was an enhancement suggestion for TVWB but not a criticism of missing expected functionality in any way.

As always, thanks so much for everything you do Chris! Because of TVWB I am lightyears ahead on BBQ cooking skills.

Thanks also for the cooks thesaurus link. Even though I am software developer it was helpful to be reminded to check the web.

I had planned on going to bed but that meat smells so good I can't stand it! I MUST have a taste!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:
Just to be clear, the cross reference guide was an enhancement suggestion for TVWB but not a criticism of missing expected functionality in any way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's exactly what I took it to be. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Glad you like the thesaurus link, it's a good site.

Regards,
Chris

Post Mortum:

The chuck roll turned out really darn good. At about 4am I pulled it from the oven at a temp of 200F. Put it in a cooler with blankets until 8am, then pulled the meat. This family of six is evenly split on pork/beef BBQ as favourite.

Final question, it was more difficult to pull the meat than any (of the few) pork butts I have done so far. There was more connective tissue and fat and both were more stubborn to remove.

Is this typical or did I screw up the low and slow a bit by sticking it in the oven at 275F? Maybe just the chunk of meat I got?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back