Chuck Roll or Brisket

Rick Kramer

TVWBB All-Star
I've noticed that a lot of people say that if they want pulled or chopped beef that they would rather cook a chuck roll instead of a packer brisket. I'm assuming part of the reasoning is because the general rule is that brisket should be sliced and not cooked to the falling apart stage. I've cooked a bunch of briskets and of course I can't eat everything I make, so I either sell it at work or give it away to friends. I have found that as long as you keep the brisket moist, most people (not bbq judges) like it falling apart or chopped as opposed to the slices. Plus it makes it easier for me to get right because I'm not looking for that "perfect" slicing temp.

Now for the questions: Why is Chuck roll preferred? Is it cheaper? Does the marbling in the Chuck roll produce a tastier or more moist product? Are they easier to cook (less margin for error)?

Just wonderin' ...
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Rick

Chuck roll is much like butt in its forgiving-ness and fat. Flavor- and texture-wise it's a matter of personal preference. I very much like the flavor and texture of point meat. Others rarely cook packers because they do not like point meat but do like CR. I'm not a big pulled beef fan much preferring sliced brisket; the point I usually make chili out of but will, on occasion, chop it up and eat it that way. I like pulled/chopped beef--just not enough to eat it that often or to smoke a CR regularly. Others like it as much or better than PP.

CR is the same price as packers around here.

Most people take their CRs to a higher internal than butts (I know I do--200+ for CR; 190-192 for butts) and foiling during cooking is common, with holes in the foil bottom to let fat drain. Many cut a large one in half.

If you're selling pulled beef you might want to try a CR. They are definitely more forgiving than briskets.

Holes in the foil, huh Kevin? I'm doing some smallish chuck roasts (3 lb'ers) tomorrow per Stogie's method - would you recommend doing the same for these little guys to avoid a greasy end product?

I definitely would. If you are doing for "pulled beef" like stogie shows, then I'd poke holes. The only complaint I've ever had with beef cooked that way is that it is a little greasy. The holes will help quite a bit.

- Adam

Are you all talking about the same thing? Is it chuck roast or chuck roll?

I was drooling in the meat counter at Sam's Club today, when I spotted chuck roll. They were huge! Larger than a basketball. I didn't check the weight, but I'd guess at least 30 pounds. Price was over $40. (Quite reasonable)

Not at all like the chuck roast on Stogie's site.

??????????

JimT

I will use rolls when I'm cooking for a large group or if I'm vending. Weight loss is during the cook is less than brisket. Has good beef flavor and is forgiving during the cook.

I'm with Kevin, the point on a brisket is the best eating.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
Are you all talking about the same thing? Is it chuck roast or chuck roll? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rick and Kevin were discussing chuck roll but I butted in with a question about chuck roast - similar, but way smaller.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> would you recommend doing the same for these little guys to avoid a greasy end product? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kirk--

It's another one of those personal preference things and also depends on the particular cut you are using. I don't catagorically recommend for it or against it. During the rest much liquid/rendered fat is often re-absorbed but you kind of have to try it both ways to see what you like best. The smaller, nicely fatted 4-lb hunks of chuck I often do--well, I don't put holes in the foil. They throw off lots of juices and a little rendered fat during cooking but re-absorb much of it before they're finished in the cooker, more during the rest. They are nicely moist without being unctuous.

When it comes to chuck rolls I know some people who never put holes in the foil and others who always do. I don't.

I've got a 3.78 # chuck roast on the WSM this morning since about 7:30. I am monitoring the internal temp with the Maverick.

Has anyone used Stogies methode before, just going by time verses internal temp? I'm just about to wrap in foil - and will pull off the italian sausages at the same time
icon_razz.gif

Just seems counter intuitive to cook by time only... Your thoughts?

Kev

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimT:
Are you all talking about the same thing? Is it chuck roast or chuck roll?

I was drooling in the meat counter at Sam's Club today, when I spotted chuck roll. They were huge! Larger than a basketball. I didn't check the weight, but I'd guess at least 30 pounds. Price was over $40. (Quite reasonable)

Not at all like the chuck roast on Stogie's site.

??????????

JimT </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jim, Chuck "roasts" are cut from the chuck "roll".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin VanHoy:
I've got a 3.78 # chuck roast on the WSM this morning since about 7:30. I am monitoring the internal temp with the Maverick.

Has anyone used Stogies methode before, just going by time verses internal temp? I'm just about to wrap in foil - and will pull off the italian sausages at the same time
icon_razz.gif

Just seems counter intuitive to cook by time only... Your thoughts?

Kev </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've cooked a few chuck roasts now using Stogies method and using time. It has worked great every time. This weekend, I did a larger than normal chuck roast. I used the time method (3 hours per pound) and foiling after 2/3's of the cook. I also checked the temp. After 2/3's, the temp was just over 160° (ready to foil) and when the time was up, it was right at 195°. I don't know for all cases, but I think time will work with chuck roast.

Thanks Jerry.

I ended up monitoring the meat temp while following the time methode. Foiled at 165, and after a total cook of 9hrs, meat was at 205. Foiling seems mandatory to render the fat in this piece of meat. Turned out great
icon_cool.gif
No real pulling needed, just a lttle push with my hands! Moist and tasty.

My wifes going to use the leftovers to put in home made enchaladas instead of regular ground meat. Can't wait
icon_razz.gif

Kev

That sounds really good Kevin.

I buy a side of beef every year and I just started using stogie's method a couple of months ago. I usually just make chili out of it. Always turns out great. I haven't used a thermometer yet. The chuck roast kind of reminds me of country ribs.

Up til this year I usually gave away 4 chuck roasts because we needed the room in the freezer. I am proud to report there are none in my freezer and my side should be ready next week. The only thing left is several round steak packages, a sirloin tip roast and some t bones that are going to Atlanta with me this weekend.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Kirk--

When it comes to chuck rolls I know some people who never put holes in the foil and others who always do. I don't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My Bud Kevin knows chuck.
icon_wink.gif
For the love of Chuck Rolls never ever poke holes in the foil. Grease/Fat = flavor. I have cooked many O Chuck rolls and i NEVER EVER poke holes in the foil. Blasphmey i tell you Blasphemy.
icon_eek.gif

Back