Chuck Roll Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick P.

TVWBB Super Fan
Put my first chuck roll on last night at 5:30 PM. 18.75 lbs. Weather was calling for rain all day, heavy at times so I set up WSM under cover. I'm using info post previously by Bryan and all is going well. It's now 11:00 AM, CR is up to 160*. Foiled it, put a little red wine on before sealing and placed back on smoker. Should be ready to eat around 3:00. Went and bought a foodsaver last night because I think 18.75 lbs. is a wee bit to much for three of us to eat. If anybodies in the Long Island area, your more than welcome to stop by for a sandwich later. Will post pics later.Chuck Roll

Nick P.

Pics look great Nick! And I see you're using the right rub
icon_biggrin.gif
#1 or 2?. Also, is that a putting green?

Nick, Making me hungry. Rain from Ivan is finally ending here. Going to put a chuck roll on tonight for tomorrow. Which rub did you use #1 or #2. Pics look great. Keep us posted.
icon_smile.gif
Bryan

Rub #1. Yes it is a putting green. (Doesn't everybody have one). Ivan is here and it's coming down in buckets. The Guru is chugging like a champ, holding 225* give or take a degree. I picked a little piece of meat off when I wrapped and can't wait for it to be finished. Bryan...you're a genius!!

Nick P.

Nick, I can't take credit for the Chuck Roll explosion. Rath & Shawn W started this craze. I just talk about them all the time and recomend them. Yes i have done many of them but they deserve the credit not me.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

I am jealous!! I had plans to do a chuck roll this weekend. But the weather has been horrible, couldn't find a CR, and my rub still hasn't gotten here! I will try to do one next weekend! My wife asked what I was doing when she caught me licking the computer screen of the picture of Nick's chuck roll!
icon_mad.gif
Man those things look awesome!

Wow, great Job Nick! What a beautiful looking CR too! Meat is that awesome dark red and looks nicely marbeled.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
Nick, I can't take credit for the Chuck Roll explosion. Rath & Shawn W started this craze... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Father Allingham's reference topic was my inspiration. All I did was cook one. So the kudos should go to Chris and the ever impressive TVWB.

CR been off the WSM since 3:00. Dinner 5:30. Just finished the baked beans, mac salad and fried zucchini. Hope I can wait. Will post additional pics after its been pulled. Thanks Rath, Shawn W., Bryan and the master Chris!!!

Nick P.

Just finished dinner. Best smoke yet!!! Chuck rolls are the most delicious pieces of meat ever. Thanks to all who had input with previous threads on this subject!! Final pics Chuck Roll
icon_razz.gif

Nick P.
icon_smile.gif

Nick,
Your pictures look great! I hold the distinction of probably being the only person on this forum that had bad results.
icon_rolleyes.gif
My CR came out greasy as if the fat did not render properly. I'm sure that it must of been a temp related problem. I presume that your CR was not greasy?

Hi Dave, I find them greasy too even though I shave all the fat I can off them. I also find them slow to pull cuz I'm constantly stopping to pick membranes, veins and fat out of the meat.

My first was the worst for greasy. I foiled at 160F, but the thing stewed in the fat drippings in the foil. Next time I left the foil openings at the bottom so it could drain while the fat rendered. This last one I didn't foil but oven finished in a large roaster with a tray in the bottom that elevated the CR from the drippings.

I've love the CR anyway and I've just accepted it for what it is.

Shawn, I was going to try not to foil at all next time. The taste was good and it was tender but as I said, greasy. At least I feel a little better knowing that's the way the CR is.

Bryan,
Good news....Ishould be able to make it to Lancaster by 3:00 to get a taste of yours LOL! Enjoy, it will be great!
icon_biggrin.gif

Nick P.

While the pics of the CR is great, Nick, the best thing in those pictures is the thing which protects your WSM. Is that a shed or a in-law suite? I need me one of them thingies!!

It's a shed. My wife saw it in a magazine and asked if I could build one. Only after the fact did I realize how handy it would be for my WSM. Lights under the porch for midnight cooks and electric for the Guru. I'll have to run H2O out there next!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Nick P.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back