Chuck roll and pork butt combo platter - this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Gergen

TVWBB Member
You guys were my inspiration - took 3 tries at Sam's Club to get a butcher who knew what I was asking for but I finally got a Chuck Roll.

This guy knew what he was talking about - he said that (at least here in MN) they do not put the cryovac packs out on the shelf but these are the packs that they cut open and cut all of their boneless chuck roasts from (which are on the shelf). He said they usually get about 5-6 roasts from one cryovac pack (one chuck roll).

$1.86 per pound as of yesterday (Chuck Roasts were $2.86 per pound).

So I picked up a 16 pounder when I asked for a "small" one. He said that they get them from 12 to 35 pounds, but usually 15 pounds or so is the smallest.

While I was there I got to thinking (uh-oh) and realized that I would have an empty grate for a LONG cook...so a 2 pack cryovac of pork butt found its way into my cart as well.

Plan on Texas BBQ Rub #2 on the chuck roll, Texas BBQ #1 on one butt and maybe a mustard or MR. Brown for the other butt. Don't know if the roll will fit on bottom without being too close to the edge - if so it's going on bottom otherwise it'll be on top with the butts on the bottom.

ET-73 will be on duty - starting at about 6-7pm on Friday night at the cabin so it'll be ready to go for Saturday evening dinner. Plan on pulling it all and vacuum sealing quite a bit of it for an upcoming fly-in fishing trip.

I'll let you know how it turns out - my first overnighter!

Wish me luck -

Scott

Scott, that a boy now your talking some serious Q Butts and Roll.
icon_smile.gif
Please post the results for us. The roll only takes an 1 hr - 1 hr 15 min a pound so if you want them to finnish close together plan accord. Bryan
EDIT: my 18.5 lber took 20 hrs at 225 with the guru. Used only 10 lbs of Royal Oak Lump.Here is a detailed account of the chuck roll cook.Chuck Roll Cook

That sounds like a fun cook. With that much cold meat going into the WSM, I will be interested to know how your temp control works out & if you use more coals than normal.

I'm bringing plenty of Kingsford (haven't tried lump yet but I did see that my local Ace carries lump).

So far I've been amazed at how steady the WSM is with temps (two Rib cooks).

Gotta admit I'm a bit nervous/intimidated with nearly 30 pounds of meat hitting the grates but I'm confident in the hardware, the methods, the recipies from here and all of the info I've picked up from here!

I'll post an update (maybe with pics?) early next week. Thanks for your support!

Scott

Scott, i put a link in for you in my first post if you want to read about the 18.5 lb one i did 2 weeks ago. Just trying to help and don't worry about it you'll do fine
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

Quantity of meat for the buck is there a better value than Chuck Roll?

Granted, I paid $1.36 per pound for the pork butt - it has bones and (I would estimate) more waste in fat, etc.

$1.86 for the chuck roll and it's meat, meat, meat with some nice fat marbled in (hopefully will render nicely).

I plan on foiling the chuck roll at 165F and taking it to 200F-205F. The pork butts I will not foil and I will take them to 200F-205F also.

Beef - it's what's for dinner!
icon_smile.gif

Scott

Bryan -

I appreciate the link - I read all the info I could on this site regarding chuck rolls before diving into this. I'm certainly not breaking new ground here - so that adds to my confidence!

I'm getting hungry...

Scott

BTW - smokewood will be 1/2 Apple chunks(from my trees) and 1/2 Hickory chunks.

Chunks = approximately baseball sized pieces.

Scott

Bryan, you know how to do chuck rolls???? NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats Scott, you've just made a new best friend!!!
icon_biggrin.gif

ya, maybe bryan will start puttin lil winking smiley faces at the end of the posts he sends me once i tell him that im going to be doing a chuck roll too....!!!!!! but for now ill have to deal with these
icon_eek.gif
somehow those always end up on my posts.......WHY?!?!?!?!?

good luck buddy.. cant wait till i do a chuck roll..or i finally do find one...oh 12 pounds...oh man ....thats gonna set me back a bill or two...

Scott,

Remember with that amount of meat on the WSM, if you are using the Minion Method, it may take awhile for the WSM to get up to temp. That is a lot of meat to warm up. Good luck, sounds like a great cook.

I purchased $1400 worth of rolls and butt, will
do 3200 sandwiches Friday, Saturday and Sunday with any luck at all in the weather. The profit goes to the local High School Sports programs.

Hope to be able to sleep again on Sunday night.
Jim

Have a bunch already cooked and froze but will cook more tonight, as needed tonight after 9pm.
Thank God for the Traeger when doing this kind of event.
Jim

Originally posted by Scott Gergen:
Don't know if the roll will fit on bottom without being too close to the edge - if so it's going on bottom otherwise it'll be on top with the butts on the bottom.

I went to Sams last night and got the 16# C.Roll and 2 Butts for tonights overnighter.
Since the ROll is so big did you cook on the top grate? Is it easier to handle the 16# Roll if you split in 2 to look like the butts?
Let me know how the cook is coming along.

Another quick question on my 1st chuck roll(16#)- is it wise to tie it up with kitchen twine to help hold it together during the overnight cook? or will it hold together? I think it has to go on the top grate for the first 7-8 hours and after it shrinks a little I can switch it to the top and put the 2 butts on the bottom.
Will the chuck roll and the butts be done around the same time or will the butts take longer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back