Chuck roll and pork butt combo platter - this weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg, I think i read something about them here.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Not sure though
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Scott- How did the roll/butt combo turn out? How long was the entire cook? I am currently on 17.5 hours and hope they will be finished soon.

All this talk of chuck rolls got me to thinking while at Sam's Club yesterday. I asked the girl in the back who always gets my pork butts if they had any rolls. She checked and they had them ranging from 15 to 19lb'ers. at a $1.82/lb.

So, it's chicken thighs today on the kettle rotisserie, brisket Tuesday in the WSM, and Chuck Roll Friday overnighter for Saturday with left overs on Sunday with Texasbbq Rub #2.

I might have to go buy some beer.
icon_wink.gif

Did the planned cook (1 chuck roll, 2 pork butts - see 1st post for details).

I did the chuck roll with Texas BBQ #2, 1 pork butt with Texas BBQ #1 and the other with mustard (cheap & yellow) and Armadillo Willy's Rub.

Got the WSM fired up via MM and the meat on at 6:15pm on Friday night. MM consisted of about 20 lit coals on top of a ring full of unlit with the smokewood on top. I used 3 chunks of hickory and 4 chunks of apple for smokewood.

WSM did nicely in ramping up to 235F quite quickly and stabilizing at that point - I was running 2 vents at about 25% open each. Wound up with the chuck roll on the top grate and the pork butts on the bottom grate. Temp probe went into one of the pork butts, smoker probe was attached to the top grate away from the meat and the edge of the grate.

WSM ran all night, was at 194F at 7:30am on Saturday and the pork butt was at 163F. Went out and added 3 longneck beer bottles full of water to the foil lined water pan and gently stirred the coals and everything went back to 235F quite nicely. Rain set in at about 10:00am - about 20 lit coals were added at 1:15pm as the temp was dropping and there was mostly ash (about 30 partial coals left) in the pan.

Pork butts hit 205F (unfoiled) at 2:15pm - I wrapped them in foil and put them in the oven in the cabin which had been set to "warm" at 150F. I switched the probe to the chuck roll and it read 170F. I took it to 175F and then foiled at 3:00pm. Chuck roll was at 205F at 4:45pm and was removed to the oven to rest for 1 hour.

Pulled/chopped the pork butts at 5:45pm, pulled/chopped the chuck roll at 6:15pm.

Holy hannah. Absolutely out of this world delicious!

All 3 pieces had excellent bark, smoke ring was about 1/2" on all 3 as well. Great flavor on the rubs - I ate everything sans sauce.

Very, very little waste on the pork butts (maybe about the size of a golf ball total plus the bone) and maybe a bit more on the chuck roll - about the size of a baseball total.

All guests present were a bit skeptical on Friday night - they were all believers on Saturday night. Great smokey flavor (not overpowering at all), super tender, super juicy - all around excellent flavor.

What would I do differently? Maybe do a rub injection on the chuck roll as it is a large hunk o meat and it's tough to get all the flavor throughout the meat. Pork butts were perfect as-is.

If you have a crowd to feed - this is the ticket. We fed 8 effortlessly and had a huge amount of everything leftover. Leftovers were vacuum sealed in portion bags and promptly frozen. I put the majority of the beef in 1 bag as this will find its way to Ontario, Canada in a couple weeks for a fly-in fishing trip that I do with my brothers and brothers-in-law.

If you haven't tried a chuck roll, you really should. It's as easy as a pork butt, just as tasty and is a real crowd pleaser.

Thanks to all that went before me on this endeavor - your help and guidance was very much appreciated.

Yes - I did take before, during and after pictures and I will get them on this thread ASAP.

Scott

I agree w/Scott on how easy and similiar the chuck roll is compared to the pork butts. If you are planning an overnight cook w/2 butts you might as well throw on a chuck roll since they take around the same time to cook.
I used the Texas #1 rub (very tasty) on the roll/butts and I injected the butts. Has any one injected the roll before? I think it would give the roll more flavor since it is such a large cut. Since I have so much leftovers (vacuum sealed), I can easily heat them up in the bags for the Labor Day weekend parties. I only need to concentrate on ribs and chicken now.

Other option to injecting is to use a bit more rub over the chopped/pulled meat before serving.

Gotta stop this - making me hungry!

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back