Chuck Roasts on Monday

Dan Gilson

TVWBB Fan
I just had to try smoking chuck roasts after seeing a post about it on another forum.

I picked up a couple boneless chuck roasts at Sam's, I wanted bone in but they didn't have any. Per the post's instructions, I slathered them with mustard and used Montreal steak seasoning on one and the other I used my basic BBQ Rub. I cooked them at 235*f for about 6 hours and pulled them at 190*f. I wrapped them in foil and let them rest in a cooler with newspaper for about an hour. Needless to say, I am pleased with the results!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I did find that they were a little difficult to pull, so I think next time I will take them to 195*f or 200*f before I pull them from the cooker and will let them rest a little longer.

I brought samples to work this morning and heard nothing but good reviews!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Look here to see pictures of the process and the results: http://usera.imagecave.com/3-Dogs_BBQ/15_Jan_07/

I encourage you all to try the chuck roast!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Dan,

Next time, try them this way (scroll down.)

It's been a favorite here on the boards, and I'll bet you like it too! Should pull easily.

JimT

Dan - They look great. I can't wait to cook the 10 pounder I bought last week. How big were your roasts?

I'm also glad to see you waited for a heat wave to cook. Is that temperature about average for North Pole at this time of year?

Jim

I originally bought my wsm thinking it would be a rib machine. I didn't even know what a pork butt was. Then I stumbled on the link that Jim posted above (Stogie's recipe) and I was hooked on Chuck!

I still like ribs, but I've done more chuck roasts than anything. They are good eatin'.

Your's look very good. I'm glad everyone liked them, but with that weather you got there, I'm sure everyone is happy to even think of bbq let alone actually get some from someone who knows what they're doing.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
I originally bought my wsm thinking it would be a rib machine. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Rib machine, pulled pork machine, brisket machine, smoked almond machine, roast turkey machine, pastrami machine, smoked mushroom dip machine, meatloaf machine... Kind of amazing when you stop and think about what you can do with it.

I'm a big fan of chucks on the smoker. I take mine to around 200-205 to help render out some of that fat. Otherwise, I find it a little too greasy for my sake. Also, I foil toward the end and, following a rec on these boards, poke a few holes in the bottom of the foil to let fat escape. Works well.

I smoked a chuck and a butt this past weekend. Both turned out great, but the chuck got more compliments. People just aren't used to chuck roast tasting so dang good!

Thanks for the tips I may try them the next time I do chuck roasts!! These roasts were about 4 pounds each.

Yes, the WSM is one Smokin' Machine!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Cooking at -10*f is almost like cooking in the summer!! Didn't even need my jacket most of the time!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:I didn't even know what a pork butt was. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was in the same boat. Everyone looked at me weird when I said I was smoking a pork butt. I guess very few people do here. But Ill have to try that chuck roast. looks good. hmmmm

I have done several chuck roast from Sam's lately. Usually around 4 lbs each. I use the high temp method. Smoke until 165, usually about 1.5 hrs. Put into foil pan with some apple juice and cover. Have found that I cant really go by internal temp at this point. At 190 to 200 still tough. Just cook until tender. Usually 2 hrs or so after foiling. Whole cooking time at around 325 - 350 is usually 3.5 hours. My brother was visiting a few weeks ago and said he never had a roast so tender with so much flavor.

Back