Chuck roast

John Solak

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Fired up my newly acquired used WSM with a chuck roast today. Had are little bit of a hard time maintaining temps, they kept creeping up even with bottom vents closed. The chuck turned out really good and most of it pulled apart really easy.

roast after a 2 hour rest in a cooler
P1000135.jpg

pulled
P1000137.jpg

Plated
P1000140.jpg

I'd have no trouble eating all that and asking for more. Looks like and excellent job to me. I have yet to try a chuck roast on the WSM but I'm going to have to give it a go soon.

Originally posted by Ken_K:
I'd have no trouble eating all that and asking for more. Looks like and excellent job to me. I have yet to try a chuck roast on the WSM but I'm going to have to give it a go soon.

Yeah, Ken we gotta work on that bud, now that you're mobile again!!! Once you do one, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner!!!!

Very Very nice John!!!! What a plate!!!!

The chuck roast was 4.65 lbs. I really like Worcestershire sauce so I put the roast in a zip lock bag and added enough Worcestershire sauce to cover along with a little granulated garlic and marinated overnight. I used a beef rub recipe Don Thompson sent me when I bought my smokenator. Really good on beef. First time using my WSM so temps were higher than I was shooting for but most of the time it was in the 250-260 range. Foiled at 165 and started checking for tenderness at 195f. Satisfied at 205F and stuck the roast in an Igloo cooler for 2 hours then Pulled. I have read some Chucks can be real stubborn so I started this cook early but mine only took around 4.5 hours to reach 205f. I used a package of au jus and used that liquid to reheat the pulled beef when it came time for dinner.

Back