Chuck Roast

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
Went four places to look for briskets. Not much selection and prices where high. Ended up getting chuck roast from Sams. Got a package with one big and one small. Both very nicey marbled. Plan on trying the high temp method with them. Take to about 165 and then foil. Not sure when to take off. Should I take off at around 200 and then rest for a few hours?

Take it to 170° or anywhere on the up side of 165° where it might hang 160° -165° for a couple of hours as the collegen breaks down, when it starts to go up again you are out of the transition zone.

Anything over 190° - 195° is good to go, rest foiled for an hour, in a toweled cooler, slice it up or if you took it to 200° - 205° strip it like you would pulled pork.

I asked the meat guy at Sams for a boneless chuck roll/roast and he wasn't sure what I was talking about. He brought out this huge piece of boneless cryovace'd meat but I still wasn't sure. Does it go by any other names? The guy didn't seem real enthused about customer service anyway(it was late and he sounded like he may be a newbie)and since I had 4 butts to cook this weekend I figured I'd go back after I consulted you all...

Ron

Ron,
He was showing you a chuck roll. It's a huge piece of meat. Chuck roasts are cut from that. They can take 20+ hours to cook.

I go to the Sam's in Southgate and they usually have some great chuck roasts. They are usually packaged two to a pack (not in cryovac - in a styrofoam tray wrapped in plastic wrap). They're usually about 2 1/2 inches thick and weigh about 3-4 pounds each. Those take about 9 to 10 hours to cook. Do a search on Stogie and chuck roast and you will see more on how to do a chuck roast. They are very good.

Ran smoker at around 330. Roast was at 200 within 2 hrs 45 min. Was still not real tender yet so went another 45 min. Turned out very tender, moist and full of flavor. I had cooked it for the next day. Re-heated very in oven and everybody loved it. Dont think I will every do another one in the oven again.

Good to hear it went well, remember what you did this time and double or quadruple up next time, once it is foiled and out of the oven allow it to cool to 70° "ish" then refridgerate on ice in a cooler, get it to drop down below 40° as soon as you can.

If you have a vacumm sealer use it to package them individually, if not Ziploc them, you have now saved on your charcoal costs, and if you need a meal in a hurry, you can defrost one in a couple of hours, and have it on the table a couple of hours after that.

Back