Chuck roast question

Rod C

TVWBB Member
I've got a 2.5 lb chuck roast that is about 1" thick. I was planning to rub it down with Texas rub #1 then cook at about 210 - 215, planning on shreading the meat instead of slicing so do I cook it to the temps for pulled pork. How long should I figure on this taking to cook. Does this sound ok or is there a better way, I'm open for suggestions. Thanks for the help.

Hi Rodney,

I can make a guess based on experience with a similar size roast in the oven at 250ºF for shredding for burrito meat.

I would give myself 8 hours @ 225º + at least 30 minutes rest time to do that 2.5lb chuck roast. I think I would also foil it at 160ºF to keep it from drying out since it is so small then take it to 200ºF - 205ºF. If it is done sooner rest it foiled in a cooler with blankets or towels.

Chuck roasts and butts, even if they are small those little buggers can still take a long time.

The link below was posted on this board previously. Take a look. I've done two of the chuck roast. Both my cooks were 3lb chuck roasts and I did them 9 hours like the recipe calls for. Pretty darn good eaten.

Chuck Roast

Yep, Stogie's recommendation of 3 hrs/lb for chuck roast always works fine for me...

Where the heck is Stogie, anyway? Sure wish he'd stick his head in here and say howdy once in a while...
icon_frown.gif
Always enjoyed and benefited from his advice...

From what I understand, Stogie is spending more time with his family and work. I also miss him. He was my first friend in the "bbq internet world". I think he's the one who told me about this website.

Back