Chuck:Balsamic, Onion, Garlic

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Platinum Member
Doing a chuck cook now. Been on for almost 4 hours and soon will get HD foil. John Reyes used minced garlic and onion in his cook last fall. I plan to slice an onion and a few cloves of garlic to go in the foil. The SECRET ingredient will be a Balsamic-Honey glaze with some added heat. This is the first cook with the new Rancher charcoal. I just finnished grilling sirloin steaks tonight with this charcoal. I like it just fine.

Onion and garlic sounds like a great way to get some more moisture in the foil at the same time you get great aroma. Gonna try that next time.

The balsamic-honey glaze sure sounds interesting too. Thanks for the report and keep us up to date on the progress. I'm not smoking tonight, so this gives me something to think about
icon_biggrin.gif

Steve,
I'm doing a chuck roast tomorrow. What is a Balsamic-Honey glaze? I'm guessing a mixture of honey and balsamic vinegar, but what proportions, do you heat it up to apply it, in general, how do you do a glaze?

The cook was about 4.5 hours at 240* then to foil with 1/2 of a head of garlic and 2-3 slices of onion. The licquid consisted of 2 tablespoons of Honey Balsamic Glaze (search for 'balsamic' in the sauce forum) plus 1/4 cup of black coffee. It spent about 2 hours in foil at 250* then rested.
It is now in the frig.

This smells heavenly!!! Don't ask me why I did the Balsamic Glaze-I just had some on hand. Likewise for the coffee-I was looking for a liquid to add a layer of flavor. With the onion and garlic it does smell special. Can't wait for pulled beef for breakfast.

That sounds interesting. I have a chuck roast to smoke this week. Will have to give that mixture a try, thanks.

Also picked up my first bag of rancher yesterday, will be trying that as well.

Yum. This is my best chuck yet.

This a.m. I pulled the beef, loaded a tortilla, added defatted foil juice and very little No. 5 sauce.

Back