Christmas Standing Rib Roast

jeffsipes

TVWBB Member
I had my parents over today for Christmas lunch along with my wife and four kids. We gave the Standing Rib Roast a run for its money. I bought the roast on Saturday and aged it in the refrigerator until this morning. I set it out on the counter when the kids got us up to open presents (early). Somewhere along the way, I made up a mixture of 1 part coarse salt, 1 part very course black pepper and 1 part Montreal Steak. I rubbed that into the meat and let it set while we went about our morning.

001_zpsc5f76cbc.jpg

I fired up the WSM. I put in a in a full chimney of lit coals and topped it with a second chimney of unlit coals. I let the unlit coals get going good and then set up the smoker. After it hit 250 or so on the smoker, I went ahead and put the roast on. I left the vents wide open and let it go.

I came out after an hour and the smoker was running around 325 to 350. I checked the meats internal temperature at 1 1/2 hours and it was in the low 90s. The cooker was holding well in the 300s but hadn't run up to 375 like I thought it would. Here's a photo at the 90 minute check.

005_zpse2666962.jpg

After another 30 minutes the internal temp was in the 110s so I took the smoker apart and set the grill grate directly on the charcoal ring. I wanted to make sure I got a decent crust on the exterior. I didn't let it char, just got a good sizzle on all sides. I put the smoker back together and let it sit on the grate for another 30m or so while I got the other stuff ready inside. I took the roast off in the low 120s and let it rest for 20m. My kind wife took a shot of me slicing the roast for a late lunch.

007_zps9cee87df.jpg

The dinner vanished pretty quickly. My 9 year old son ate a slice and a half. Even the four year old ate a 1/2 slice. Thankfully, I had a little left over for sandwiches and such this week. Thanks to all for a great resource and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas from our house.

Jeff

Jeff,

That roast is done to perfection period! I suspect the reason you couldn't reach 375 degrees is with only two chimneys of charcoal in the 22 WSM it was doing all it could do. But the slightly lower temps worked out to your advantage. Just curious, was the meat more done near the outside? Certainly appears not.

Last edited:
Jeff,

That roast is done to perfection period! I suspect the reason you couldn't reach 375 degrees is with only two chimneys of charcoal in the 22 WSM it was doing all it could do. But the slightly lower temps worked out to your advantage.

I agree. I always forget that to get to the higher temps I need two full chimneys going plus some additional fuel. It ran 325 to 350 for most of the cook so it indeed worked out.

Just curious, was the meat more done near the outside? Certainly appears not.

The meat above the fat line was generally more done than the center but not overly done. You can kind of see it in the picture. It was more pronounced on the smaller end. The end pieces or pieces with a good bit of crust were awesome.

I'm very happy with how this cook turned out. Very easy cook with dynamite results. I just followed the outline I found on the main page. It worked great.

Back