Christmas Morning

D Johnson

Went to HD to buy a paint brush, came home with a WSM! On sale for 41 bucks.

Guess the painting's gonna have to wait... I'm smokin' ribs this weekend!

Grateful for all the excellent advice here.

Theif!
icon_biggrin.gif

Congrats! And welcome! Good luck with the ribs. Report back!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Haha. I do feel like I got away with something.

Thanks guys, I'll document my stumbles!

Found a great deal on baby backs, so I'm going with them. Three slabs around 2.75 lbs. each.

Figure I'll start simple and go Minion Method with briquettes. Tested my dome thermometer and it reads about 10 degrees shy of accurate.

Weather forecast looks clear and in the high 40's.

Planning on rubbing the slabs a few hours before sizzle.

I'm reading through all the forum threads of course, but if anyone wants to share some rookie mistake warnings, I'd sure appreciate it!

Thanks Erik, I'm sure I'll need a heaping helping of luck!

If anyone is around, I'd sure appreciate some wisdom right now.

I'm doing three slabs on an 18.5, so obviously I can't fit everything on the top grate.

I thought about rolling the slabs, but decided to halve them and go three on top, three on bottom.

Whether or not that was a bad decision is part one of my question!

Part two is (since I've already cut my slabs), should I rotate the ribs from top to bottom grate at any point during the smoke?

Thanks guys!

I would have rolled them...Nothing you like to hear right
icon_wink.gif

No harm done...No need to rotate em @ all. Be sure to have the tips inside the heat sheilded area though. Good luck report back!...

Ofc you will! Pull em when they are done and you are in for a treat. A meat probe should go in easy between the bones. Almost no resitance. Or try to fold em in half...If they break in the middle they are done...Or try to tear the bones appart. If the flesh comes of the bone they are done for sure.

Best da** ribs I ever ate. No ifs, ands or buts!

I was surprised how easy it was to make temp adjustments. Really doesn't take much tinkering with the vents.

Two hunks of hickory and two cherry buried in the briquettes. Gallon of water in the bowl.

Only foiled 'em after they passed the "pull apart" test. Had to stow the ribs in a cooler for about an hour because the birthday guest of honor was late!

Sauced and finished them on the grill.

Pulled clean off the bone and the flavor was a religious experience!

Hey, it worked out good though. With the extra time I threw our beans in a cast iron skillet and dropped them in the smoker, and did the same with some andouille and onions. (I can tell I'll be doing a lot of experimenting with my WSM!)

Photos coming, but I'm worried they won't look as good as it tasted!

Well, here are the results of my first smoke! I know my presentation needs some work, but I'm just happy to have a first success under my belt.

Everybody raved about the flavor, and I don't want to change my smoky clothes for a week. My big question is... how'd all that beer disappear so quick?

Naked Ribs
Rub
Cherry & Hickory Smoke Wood
Fired Up
Sizzle Time
Three Hours Later
Three Hours CU
Self Restraint
No More Pictures!!

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, all. Time to figure out what I'm doing next weekend!

Looks awesome! Post in the Photo Gallery and i bet that cook would be flooded with responses.

I se that you use imageshack.

6)Klick on "embed this image" to the right.
7)Copy the forum code(ctrl+c) and paste(ctrl+v) into your post and the pics will appear not just the link.

Killer ribs mate!

Thanks Wolgast!

Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

I appreciate the tips on photo posting. Especially the girls that come along with it in your screen grab!

Back