Christmas dinner on the smoker, anyone?

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
just curious what everyone is cooking for dinner on Tuesday. I know many do turkey, but anything unusual that might be on the smoker? Some like the standing rib roast, but i haven't tried it.

I was gonna do a turkey but im sick of poultry. Think Im gonna do a pork loin on the webber w/ some type of injection. Add a little pecan and apple smoke.

I'm hoping to smoke a turkey myself. The weather has been a problem here in the Boston area. Sub-freezing temps. & lots of wind & snow.
I've shoveled out a path to the WSM just in case I can use it on Christmas. If not the bird goes in the oven
icon_frown.gif

I'm gave my son a bullet for his birthday, but he hasn't adopted it, yet. I'm going to honey brine a bird and take it to him so we can smoke it together.

Also giving him a box of Buckboard Bacon seasoning for christmas.

Doing a fresh ham. I think I might have one left in the freezer from my last pig but I'll try to find one, if not. Fresh hams can be frequently hard to find.

Cooking a butterball self-basting turkey breast and spiral sliced fully cook ham with glaze packet included. The turkey is cooked at high temp on the wsm recipe. The ham only needs to cook to 140 degrees. Could i do this on the wsm
at the high temp? dont want to dry it out. I also have a OTG, would it be best to warm the ham on the kettle? wife will have oven busy with cornbread dressing.

Smoked standing rib roast for me, plus some grilled sausage and polenta on the performer and other italian goodies (lasagna / caprese etc.)

Jerry-- The ham shouldn't go that high. I'd recommend 120 or so, tops. Once you go past that you start to cook an already cooked ham and it will start to dry, especially the outer portions. You can do it on the WSM or in the kettle. You can go with low temp or high. (I usually go lower, in a pan wrapped in foil. I pull at 10-15 degrees shy of my target internal and let resting take care of that.) At high temp, wrapping is essential. In either case, bring the ham to room temp before heating for best results.

I'd recommend ditching the glaze packet and either making your own (very easy) or, better, making a sauce for it. That way you need not bake uncovered for any period of time--and you can make a larger quantity of delicious sauce, rather than a small quantity of glaze that only adheres to the surface.

Thanks Kevin
Can you give me a recipe for glaze or sauce.
Never done this before? IF i cook at high temp
i need to foil it, Right?

I'm doing a rib roast. The wife asked for it without seeing Chris's photo on the homepage! As luck would have it, yesterday while buying a couple of hams for the office party, I saw that the butcher had rib roasts on sale for $4.99/lb! I needed one larger than was displayed so he pulled out a 3' length and asked which end I wanted and cut me up one on the spot. As I was leaving I noticed the whole brisket - .88/lb sale! Christmas came early
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'd recommend ditching the glaze packet and either making your own (very easy) or, better, making a sauce for it. That way you need not bake uncovered for any period of time--and you can make a larger quantity of delicious sauce, rather than a small quantity of glaze that only adheres to the surface. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin, any recipes come to mind? I've got 2 half hams (spiral sliced) that I'm bringing to work tomorrow.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'd recommend ditching the glaze packet and either making your own (very easy) or, better, making a sauce for it. That way you need not bake uncovered for any period of time--and you can make a larger quantity of delicious sauce, rather than a small quantity of glaze that only adheres to the surface. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin, any recipes come to mind? I've got 2 half hams (spiral sliced) that I'm bringing to work tomorrow. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not Kevin, but here's a Glaze Recipe that is fantastic on ham.

1 stick of butter
1/2 cup of honey
1/2 cup Dark Rum
1 cup Brown sugar
1 TBS Cinnamon

Combine all ingredients, bring to a boil and let simmer 5 minutes.

And a pic of the before and after product. This was a "Ready Cook" ham, not a spiral sliced.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I'm not Kevin, but here's a Glaze Recipe that is fantastic on ham.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Larry, it looks great. I'm really looking for more of a sauce that can be applied over the slices as people wish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
larry, did you heat the ham w/ the sauce in the pan, or add it after the cook? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I cooked in an aluminum pan at 225* until the internal temp hit 120*, then I basted with it's natural juices and continued to cook. Once it hit 125* I basted with the glaze every 15 minutes until the internal temp hit 145*. Let rest for minimum 15 minutes then slice. If you try it let me know what you think and how it turns out!

Jerry-- Yes. Essentially you are reheating. At low temps one can forgo the foil (if, say, one wants to add more smoke) but I usually foil regardless. At high temps exterior drying occurs quickly so foiling from the beginning is essential, imo. Either place the ham in a pan and cover the pan tightly with foil, or place the ham, flat end down (if doing a shank or butt half) on a piece of HD foil, then crimp tightly closed around the ham, leaving .5-1 inch of airspace between the ham's surface and the foil. In either case, if using a wired probe, insert before foiling. If not, estimate the reheat time and temp directly through the foil. No need to poke all over: pick one temp spot.

Remember, if doing a half ham: remove the plastic disk that usually overs the cut end of the bone.

I usually pull at 100-110 and rest 30 min; the temp will rise.

Paul/Jerry--

Err on the side of caution and don't reheat too early and don't take the internal too high. (You can, if necessary, take it to ~120 then carve immediately and serve (no resting) but I prefer the pull-earlier-then-rest approach.) Also, another good thing about doing a sauce: it can help to keep the ham hot.

Keep your sauce hot (or reheat it). Warm a serving platter or roasting pan. If doing a typical half ham, using a paring or narrow-bladed boning knife and starting at the flat side where the cut bone is exposed, separate the meat from the bone by inserting the knife's tip where meat meets bone and cutting around it. Repeat, working the knife in farther, as you can. Don't worry about getting your knife all the way in nor completely loosening the bone.

Next, using a slicer or chefs and starting at the surface where the meat is thickest, cut horizontally through the ham--cut right up to the bone. Make a horizontal cut from the other side of the ham, right up to the bone as well. (You've essentially just cut your ham in half horizontally.) Remove the meat from the top half, all in one piece, using you paring to sever it from the bone where necessary. Sever the bone from the bottom half. Using your slicer, cut between each of the spiral slices to separate them from each other. Do both halves. Don't fan the slices though--leave the halves looking as they do--just cut between the slices. The mass will keep things warmer longer.

Put some hot sauce on your warmed platter or pan then place the ham on the sauce. Drizzle with more sauce then, if not serving immediately, foil the platter to retain heat. Serve with more heated sauce on the side.

For glaze ideas (any of which can be reworked as a sauce) see here. Scroll down to see procedural details.

For sauces, essentially you go with a similar procedure except that you're looking to make more and to make it more saucy rather than syrupy. I like fruit with a counterpoint or complement or two.

I often use fresh or dried fruits for sauces for hams but an easy and quick sub is to buy preserves. You'll want about 3 or 4 cups of sauce for a typical half ham (though you certainly can make more).

Basically, you do this:

In a med pot, saute a finely chopped small onion and/or a couple or three shallots in about 2 T unsalted butter over med heat till soft. (If adding other aromatics like garlic (1-2 cloves, minced) or ginger (1 or 2 t of minced or grated fresh) or both, add at this point and cook just till very fragrant, about 45 secs to 1 min, stirring well.

At this point you can add any flavors like wine, vingar, liquors, liqueurs that are best used in small quantities and are best reduced. A half-cup of white wine, 1/4 c of vinegar, and/or a couple T of liquor (rum, bourbon, Frangelico, e.g.) added now then reduced over med-high heat till only a T or so remains are options that work well.

Add herbs and spices. Whisk in a T or two of Dijon (it acts as a good emulsifier later and complements fruit and ham; use up to 3/4 c if you'd like a prominent mustard finish).

Add 1.5 c of decent quality chicken stock (or ham stock) and bring to a boil. Simmer about 7 min, uncovered to allow for some reduction.

Now, whisk in 1.5-2 c fruit preserves, in 1/4 c increments, allowing to dissolve in the heat of the mixture. When all is incorporated, puree the mixture using a handblender directly in the pot, or by removing the mix and using a conventional blender then returning to the pot. Return to a simmer then judge thickness and flavor. Reduce the mixture if you'd like it thicker or add stock or fruit juice if you would like it thinner. (Alternatively, you can make it thicker by adding a little corstarch slurry; I usually just reduce.)

Adjust salt and pepper (I like white pepper here); adjust acidity/brightness by adding vinegar/lemon juice, just a few drops at a time. Adjust sweetness by adding white or brown sugar and/or honey.

Obviously, you can make this sort of sauce well ahead of time and reheat for serving. Add a few T of any collected meat juices to the sauce when you unwrap the ham from resting, adding a little at a time and tasting after each addition.

Peach, apricot, pineapple go very well with ham. In any of these cases I'd go with 1 or two cloves minced garlic (added as noted above), and would go with some thyme (about 1 t dried) for an herb. For pineapple, I'd likely add a little ginger (fresh, added with the fresh garlic or powdered, added with the herb). For all, I'd likely add a pinch or two of allspice. Sage is a nice addition to pineapple; mace or nutmeg (in very tiny quantities), cinnamon, and/or a tiny pinch of cardamom or clove is nice with peach or apricot.

I'd consider a little wine and/or vin for the liquid reduction phase but would also consider rum (for the peach or pineapple), bourbon (for any), Southern Comfort (for the apricot), Frangelico (for the peach) as possible additions. Note, again, that these are added near the beginning to reduce before the stock is added--they are meant to be part of the profile, not a prominent fixture. You can certainly add more if you wish, but do so at the earlier point, not at the finish.

Finely chopped pecans can be toasted in a dry pan (don't let them burn! pour immediated onto a plate to cool when toasted), then scattered over the ham on its platter for serving, as a nice edible garnish--good with the pineapple or peach sauces. You can do the same with blanched almonds, chopped, or sliced almonds--good for the apricot sauce. You can also fold some toasted nuts into the sauce if you wish.

Note that if going with pineapple, pineapple preserves can be hard to find. Simply used canned pineapple (chunks or tidbits) packed in juice. After the puree step, you might need to reduce the sauce a little more than you would if using preserves, to make it thicker, but this is easily done.

There are many other possibilites. Cherry is a good option as is apple. Orange marmalade makes a good sauce too. You can also combine complementary fruits (pineapple-mango; cherry-plum, etc.). You can also forgo fruit, if you wish, and use instead wine, white vermouth, or vinegar(s) for the base flavor.

If you'd like me to flesh out any more details or if any of this isn't clear enough, let me know.

Thanks a lot Kevin
That gives me a lot of ideas.
I'll try one and let you know how it turns out.
Never done a ham on the wsm.
Started qing on the new wsm in May.
Some "good eats"
Jerry

I'm doing a Angus Rib Roast and baked potatoes, along with Keri C's outstanding cornbread. Will also do brussel sprouts if I can find some fresh ones.
icon_smile.gif

Back