Choosing Steaks at the grocery store (Red vs Pink)??

Sam-TX

TVWBB Fan
I was in the local grocery store today, they have a sale on Strip Steaks. Usually they're all pretty homogenous, but this particular grocery store using this particular butcher of steak had quite a bit of variation between the packages. I think it's all choice, so the marbling was what it was, but the colors were super different!

See below (click to embiggen)

I still haven't found out how to choose a steak at the grocery store, but a quick google search brought me to Weber (of all websites), and said:

Weber said:

Color​

The flesh should have a rich pink or light cherry appearance. If it has a deep red or other dark color, there's a good chance it came from a dairy cow and the meat will be bland and tough.

Then I saw someone else go in and grab the darkest reddest batch he could. Even in the same box some where dark red and some where pink.

Which would you choose?

Because we eat so few steaks a year now, I just buy Prime when we want to enjoy a nice piece of red meat. So long as it looks good, I’d choose the darker one.

While they are on sale, buy the darkest and the lightest and do a side-by-side test. If you can tell the difference, whichever one you prefer is the better one.

I always thought meat color had to do with diet.

When in doubt, buy the one with the sticker that says "save $10"!

I was in the local grocery store today, they have a sale on Strip Steaks. Usually they're all pretty homogenous, but this particular grocery store using this particular butcher of steak had quite a bit of variation between the packages. I think it's all choice, so the marbling was what it was, but the colors were super different!

See below (click to embiggen)

I still haven't found out how to choose a steak at the grocery store, but a quick google search brought me to ][/B]Weber (of all websites), and said:

Then I saw someone else go in and grab the darkest reddest batch he could. Even in the same box some where dark red and some where pink.

Which would you choose?
I would pick the steak with a nice bright red colour and the steaks that have most amount marbling thats what counts , also if you look through the packaging and the meat has a shiny appearance to it that means it is fresh not aged enough, and will likely be less tender.
The darker steaks you see in the meat case on the right are what is called dark cutters in the meat industry, as you can see both packages have the same best before date but the dark steaks (dark cutter) has been reduced by $10.00 a pkg because of of the colour which is very unanatractive to consumers . In most cases at retail this type of dark cutting beef generally never reaches the major retail chains and is caught at the beef processing plant and not sold because of its dark appearance which goes through the whole animal making it very indesirable for retail . Generaly this type of dark cutiing beef would be heavily discounted to a supplier other than a major grocery chain or end up in ground beef . The texture of this type of beef is very tacky and doesnt cook the same as regular beef.
Dark cutting beef has an extremely dark red colour to almost black, and not to be confused with dark beef which loses its bloom naturally as seen in meat cases which is at or nearing the end of its shelf life .
See video below what causes dark cutters.

https://www.facebook.com/NationalBQA/videos/bqa-tip-dark-cutters/2150806435095283/
If you don't have facebook https://meat.tamu.edu/2013/01/22/dark-cutting-beef/
Bought beef from a meat packer years ago and the owner always stated that when slaughterig beef catlle they would get more dark cutters during a full moon .

Last edited:
I would pick the steak with a nice bright red colour and the steaks that have most amount marbling thats what counts , also if you look through the packaging and the meat has a shiny appearance to it that means it is fresh not aged enough, and will likely be less tender.
How long do I want it aged and can't I just age it myself?

The darker steaks you see in the meat case on the right are what is called dark cutters in the meat industry, as you can see both packages have the same best before date but the dark steaks (dark cutter) has been reduced by $10.00 a pkg because of of the colour which is very unanatractive to consumers . In most cases at retail this type of dark cutting beef generally never reaches the major retail chains and is caught at the beef processing plant and not sold because of its dark appearance which goes through the whole animal making it very indesirable for retail . Generaly this type of dark cutiing beef would be heavily discounted to a supplier other than a major grocery chain or end up in ground beef . The texture of this type of beef is very tacky and doesnt cook the same as regular beef.
Dark cutting beef has an extremely dark red colour to almost black, and not to be confused with dark beef which loses its bloom naturally as seen in meat cases which is at or nearing the end of its shelf life .
See video below what causes dark cutters.

https://www.facebook.com/NationalBQA/videos/bqa-tip-dark-cutters/2150806435095283/
If you don't have facebook https://meat.tamu.edu/2013/01/22/dark-cutting-beef/
Bought beef from a meat packer years ago and the owner always stated that when slaughterig beef catlle they would get more dark cutters during a full moon .
Now THIS is what Weber should have put on their website!

That was way more interesting than I thought it would be, and that the full moon causes dark cuts is equally interesting. The cows probably can't right at night due to the light, or they feel they can be seen too easily by predators.

I picked the nicest marbled one that had a nice pink hue to it. It was heavenly, if maybe a bit watery.

The red steaks are grass fed. The pink steaks are grain fed.

If you're into taste, go pink. More tender and more flavor.

If you're into health, go red.

How long do I want it aged and can't I just age it myself?

Now THIS is what Weber should have put on their website!

That was way more interesting than I thought it would be, and that the full moon causes dark cuts is equally interesting. The cows probably can't right at night due to the light, or they feel they can be seen too easily by predators.

I picked the nicest marbled one that had a nice pink hue to it. It was heavenly, if maybe a bit watery.
You want the beef you are buying aged in the crayovac ( wet aged) at least 14 days which is what most major grocery chains purchase is their beef in the cryovac bags and then process into steaks roasts etc.. It is very difficult to age beef in a normal home refrigerator because you need the room ,correct humidity etc. but it can be done, for more information see https://umaidry.com . Some of the finest restaurants dry age their beef in house or from a meat supplier( not in crayovac bag) for at least 28 days . Dry age = beef not in crayovac bags but in whole primal cuts like loins , prime ribs whole carcass etc. aged in meat coolers with specific humidity conditions...

Last edited:
You want the beef you are buying aged in the crayovac ( wet aged) at least 14 days which is what most major grocery chains purchase is their beef in the cryovac bags and then process into steaks roasts etc.. It is very difficult to age beef in a normal home refrigerator because you need the room ,correct humidity etc. but it can be done, for more information see https://umaidry.com . Some of the finest restaurants dry age their beef in house or from a meat supplier( not in crayovac bag) for at least 28 days . Dry age = beef not in crayovac bags but in whole primal cuts like loins , prime ribs whole carcass etc. aged in meat coolers with specific humidity conditions .. .
I'm not sure the beef sold here is dry aged or aged at all?

I think that's a European thing, no?

When I was a child, my grandfather told me a story about the basement of one of the finest steakhouses in New York City:

Sides of beef hanging from hooks, covered in mold.

Since he was born in 1895, I would guess this was during the 1920’s or before, pre refrigeration.

For what it’s worth

I'm not sure the beef sold here is dry aged or aged at all?

I think that's a European thing, no?
I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but most major grocery stores sell wet age beef (crayovac beef ) if you are not sure what length the beef is aged just ask the butcher behind the meat counter. the meat boxes are all stamped with the kill date processing date so any date after would be how long the beef has been aged. If you want dry aged beef you will probably have to go to an independet butcher shop that specilizes in dry aging their beef in their own meat coolers , they might only age the beef for 21 minimum but it would be more aged than your regular grocery store., dry aging is better than wet aging also the dry aging enhances the meat lavour . It is a very fine line for grocery stores to age meat (wet age) beef to any degree because the longer it ages in the crayovac the more purge is created ( juices left in the crayovac bag ) which is lost $$ to the store, also the longer the beef sits in the crayovac bag say after 14 days more purge is created and the meat itself has less shelf life . Thats why Costco mechanically tenderizes their meat as apposed to aging their beef to ensure tenderness for the consumer, which I am not a big fan of because you now have to cook the meat to at least 145F especially if there was ever an E.coli breakout at one of their meat suppliers someone could get very sick or death if the meat was not cooked to at least 145F internal temp after being mechaniacally tenderized spreading the E.coli from one steak to another. If you want aged beef pick up a whole striploin, top sirloin cap ( pichana) etc. and age the beef in the crayovac in your home fridge for another 1-2 weeks dependig what date is on the product. Make sure you place the meat on the bottom of the fridge and ensure the temp is kept at 35-38 farenheit. No I dont believe aging fresh meat is a european thing maybe some parts of Brittain ,definately more a north american thing especially amongst the high end restauarnts its very trendy. There is a very famous meat store in NYC that specializes in dry aged beef https://www.lobels.com/ you could order from them $$$$ + it has clients such as Jerry Seinfield the late Henry Kissinger etc.

Last edited:
One of the best butchers in the US. Dry aged is available for consumer purchase:

Actually Pat lafirieda's pricing on 30 day 45 day and 60 day dry aged striploins is an excellent price even with the ( 5lb minimum shipping) given the amount of shrink and waste incurred in the aging process. This would be great for anyone who wants to to have that 60 day dry aged dinig expereience at home and avoid double that price at a high end restaurant or something for a very special ocassion such as New Years 🎈🎈🎈 P.S just add some dry aged beef patties+ the steaks to help with the 5lb minimum shipping

Last edited:
Actually Pat lafirieda's pricing on 30 day 45 day and 60 day dry aged striploins is an excellent price even with the ( 5lb minimum shipping) given the amount of shrink and waste incurred in the aging process. This would be great for anyone who wants to to have that 60 day dry aged dinig expereience at home and avoid double that price at a high end restaurant or something for a very special ocassion such as New Years 🎈🎈🎈 P.S just add some dry aged beef patties+ the steaks to help with the 5lb minimum shipping
I’ve had many steaks and meats from Pat Lafriedas over the years. Nothing beats them for a very high quality home cooked steak, IMO.

I am not sure exactly what you are asking, but most major grocery stores sell wet age beef (crayovac beef ) if you are not sure what length the beef is aged just ask the butcher behind the meat counter. the meat boxes are all stamped with the kill date processing date so any date after would be how long the beef has been aged. If you want dry aged beef you will probably have to go to an independet butcher shop that specilizes in dry aging their beef in their own meat coolers , they might only age the beef for 21 minimum but it would be more aged than your regular grocery store., dry aging is better than wet aging also the dry aging enhances the meat lavour . It is a very fine line for grocery stores to age meat (wet age) beef to any degree because the longer it ages in the crayovac the more purge is created ( juices left in the crayovac bag ) which is lost $$ to the store, also the longer the beef sits in the crayovac bag say after 14 days more purge is created and the meat itself has less shelf life . Thats why Costco mechanically tenderizes their meat as apposed to aging their beef to ensure tenderness for the consumer, which I am not a big fan of because you now have to cook the meat to at least 145F especially if there was ever an E.coli breakout at one of their meat suppliers someone could get very sick or death if the meat was not cooked to at least 145F internal temp after being mechaniacally tenerized spreading the E.coli from one steak to another. If you want aged beef pick up a whole striploin, top sirloin cap ( pichana) etc. and age the beef in the crayovac in your home fridge for another 1-2 weeks dependig what date is on the product. Make sure you place the meat on the bottom of the fridge and ensure the temp is kept at 35-38 farenheit. No I dont believe aging fresh meat is a european thing maybe some parts of Brittain ,definately more a north american thing especially amongst the high end restauarnts its very trendy. There is a very famous meat store in NYC that specializes in dry aged beef https://www.lobels.com/ you could order from them $$$$ + it has clients such as Jerry Seinfield the late Henry Kissinger etc.
Wait so all that steak in the stores is wet aged?!?!? What???? I thought it was all freshly slaughtered.
When I was in Europe I couldn't find just "a steak" as here, it was always something dry aged and special somehow. I wasn't impressed, but I'm from Texas.
I can't get myself to order special ingredients online, not crab, not steak, not wasabi lol. I'd rather give that money to my local butcher from whom I once had the best steak I've ever eaten. Not sure what it was, but it was amazing. I'll need to talk to him sometime for a truly special occasion, b/c the prices I see there make me shudder. I don't know how his regular shoppers afford that in all honesty, or how there's so much business for steaks like that. Probably food stamps. He's not anywhere near what the online shops charge. I need to talk to him.

I bought one of those four packs and vacuum sealed 2 of the steaks, and threw them in the freezer. Could I have wet aged them instead, jsut vacuum seal them and put them in the fridge??

Wait so all that steak in the stores is wet aged?!?!? What???? I thought it was all freshly slaughtered.
Obviously not freshly slaughtered, because there is not live cattle entering behind the store and not coming out.....

Like many things (I'm thinking particularly avocados and bananas), the stores have basic beef down to a system. After getting cut and packed, the meat actually ages and improves in taste while it is in transport to the store. They don't age it too long, because they need shelf life as well. Everything is carefully worked out.

Some high-end grocery stores (Wegmans by me) dry age beef, but this is a complex and expensive process to manage that also results in substantial loss of moisture/weight.

From what I remember raising beef cattle as a kid, the slaughtered carcasses should hang for at least several days in cold storage before butchering & packaging. The local butcher regularly got chastised by the inspector because he'd hang the heart & liver with each carcass (you got your own,) rather than keeping them separated.

Back