chips not chuncks

Eric. W

i can only find wood variety in chips, not chuncks in Charleston, SC. i would prefer chuncks as that is what seems to be the norm.
Should I be soaking the chips for an hour, or should I just be throwing them on the coals?? Also, should I assemble the smoker and put the meat on while the heavy smoke is bellowing, or let it rest for a while. Still learning.

Thanks.

I would soak the chips. I put my food on right away most of the time. Sometimes I let the cooker warm first but I haven't really been able to tell a difference in the taste of the food. Most of the time I cook I use the minion metheod. So I wait for my 15 or so briquits to turn white them add them on top of the charcol assemble the cooker, then go inside and get my meat out of the fridge or off the counter.

I would soak them and use a double foil packet. Problem, of course, is that they burn up so quickly.

I really don't think you can beat pecan and I bet that's not hard to find in your area. I've got some old non-productive trees in an orchard and I just grab a limb, before it begins to rot, cut off some chunks, let them season for a few months and go to smokin'.

Paul

It's hard to go wrong with hickory - I have no trouble locating chunks of it at Lowes, Home Depot, Wal Mart, Bi-Lo, Ace, etc. When I have used chips that I got at Bass Pro (Alder, maple, etc.) I might put them in foil, or if I am going for a lighter smoke flavor on fish or whatever, I am more likely to just throw a couple of handfuls of soaked chips right on the charcoal. I throw them on when I put the food on. I don't soak them if they go in aluminum.

Back