Chipotles

Mike F.

TVWBB Super Fan
Made some chipotles this weekend using Cris's tutorial.Chipotles I think they came out Great! Don't yet know how hot they are, that will follow.(I only bit off a tiny end piece to taste for dryness and smoke. Both were good.) I used a hotplate with the WSM and added a small piece of hickory every couple of hours and smoked them until they were completly dry. It took about 26 hours at 150 degrees. The only downside to this was that my coveted 25 year old wagner 10.5 inch skillet cracked! Don't know why. (I placed it on the hotplate before I turned it on to bring it up to temperature.) Oh well.
icon_frown.gif
I still used it for it's last stand to make some incredible chipotles. Pics below. (hope the links work allright, it's my first attempt at the photo thing.)

http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq215/mikefmike/P1010001.jpg
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq215/mikefmike/P1010002.jpg
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq215/mikefmike/P1010003.jpg
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq215/mikefmike/P1010004.jpg
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq215/mikefmike/P1010005.jpg
http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq215/mikefmike/P1010008.jpg

Those are great pictures. Were they peppers you grew yourself? They look a lot better than store bought.

I know a great deal of heat comes from the membrane ribs, and the seeds, since they are attached to them. So I figured the seeds would be scooped out before smoking them. Either way, they look delicious. Are they bone dry enough to grind up in a spice grinder?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I know a great deal of heat comes from the membrane ribs, and the seeds </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually, I just heard that the inside wall of the pepper is the only part that secretes the capsaicin oil. the seeds are only hot if they've been in contact with the pepper. the oil also drips down the inside of the pepper which explains why the tip of a pepper tends to be hotter.

thanks npr science friday!

great job on the peppers. my source charges $25 a pound. looks like you made about 8 bucks worth. then again, if we did things ourself to save money, we wouldn't make much.
icon_wink.gif

Tom, I did grow them and yes I believe they're dry enough to grind although I haven't as of yet. They're dry enough to snap in half.

"j", thank you for kind words and you're so right. We couldn't make any money doing a handfull of peppers at a clip. It truly is a labor of love.

Mike

Hi Mike,
I've just finished my third batch of Chipotles this season. Some were mine but the majority were from an organic farm not too far from me. I did mine with lump with a combination of oak and apple. By only starting with two lit pieces, I was able to run about sixteen hours with smoke. Always under 170 degrees. One batch I ran through twice while the other two I just finished either in a low (200 degree) oven or the dehydrator. Did Poblano's (Anchos) as well as paprika (Hot & Mild) , garlic (six pounds) and tomatoes. All great stuff. BTW: Nice pictures! Enjoy!

J, in my initial reply, you can see that I wrote "since they are attached to them", meaning the ribs in the peppers are the source of heat.

Regardless of the fact that the heat originates from the rib membrane, the seeds are still hot because of it, and hence, I was wondering if most people remove them for home applications.

My processed store bought chipotles have all the seeds and membranes in them, but I'm sure it's because it lowers the cost of manufacturing the product. When I use them for chorizo, I open them and clean out the seeds as best I can, and then dice the remaining flesh.

If I were to make some like this,and I might because I think it would be fun to do.I would likely use the flesh, leaving the seeds and membranes for the trash man.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc:
Hi Mike,
I've just finished my third batch of Chipotles this season. Some were mine but the majority were from an organic farm not too far from me. I did mine with lump with a combination of oak and apple. By only starting with two lit pieces, I was able to run about sixteen hours with smoke. Always under 170 degrees. One batch I ran through twice while the other two I just finished either in a low (200 degree) oven or the dehydrator. Did Poblano's (Anchos) as well as paprika (Hot & Mild) , garlic (six pounds) and tomatoes. All great stuff. BTW: Nice pictures! Enjoy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marc, I thought about useing charcoal but decided to go with a hot plate for ease of temp control at low temps. I have to tell you, it worked like a charm! With the hotplate on high it never got above 155 and the lowest it ran was about 140. Recovery after I added wood was less than half an hour. I'd do it again. I wish I had access to fresh poblanos but-Oh well.
icon_rolleyes.gif
Smoked garlic? Whats that like, it sounds good.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Marc, I thought about useing charcoal but decided to go with a hot plate for ease of temp control at low temps. I have to tell you, it worked like a charm! With the hotplate on high it never got above 155 and the lowest it ran was about 140. Recovery after I added wood was less than half an hour. I'd do it again. I wish I had access to fresh poblanos but-Oh well. Roll Eyes Smoked garlic? Whats that like, it sounds good. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

is there a hot plate you like?

I dried a bunch of tomatoes this year. I'm temped to smoke them, has anybody had experience with tomatoes?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Regardless of the fact that the heat originates from the rib membrane, the seeds are still hot because of it, and hence, I was wondering if most people remove them for home applications. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom, I realize we're quibbling over minor details. but the way I heard it, the placental wall is the source of the oil. I might be guessing but the membrane is the placenta and therefore not the source of the oil. This information was presented in a way to suggest popular convention is wrong, seeds and membranes aren't the hottest part of the pepper. I thought it was interesting and worth filing under "another piece of false kitchen wisdom."

"is there a hot plate you like?"

This is the one I bought the day before I smoked the jalepenos. I don't know if it will last or stay accurate. I do know it worked perfectly that day. Seems well built.

hotplate

Mike

Back