Chipotle Mayonnaise

Originally posted by Erik G:
I made a wrap with grilled chicken breasts (marinated in your roadside chicken recipe), spinach, tomatoes and a vinaigrette. I am kicking myself for not making the chipotle mayo, maybe next time.

Erik
I'm kicking too. You, not me.
icon_biggrin.gif
Tacos in place of sour cream if you use it.
icon_wink.gif

Just a slightly different take on this ... Hope you don't mind, Bryan
icon_wink.gif

I had a couple Italian sausages (mild) left last night and while watching the Bills actually show some promise (they were winning, and won
icon_eek.gif
), I thought I'd cook them up. Had started some 1/4" sliced Vidalia onion in the Griswold #8 earlier and started thinking, how can I heat this up a bit? Have a few roasted and dried chipotles in the cupboard but don't want to mess with that tonight (slightly inebriated .. LOL), but I have a large jar of sliced jalapeno's in there.
icon_cool.gif

Diced up 3 slices jalapeno's and added them to 3 heaping TBLS Mayo Lite (all I had besides Miracle Whip), 1.5 heaping TBLS Weber's horsey mustard. Put the sausages in with the onions (saute'ing in 2 TBLS butter) until just done. Pulled them for a few while I folded 2/3 of that Vidalia onion in the mayo/mustard/jap mix. Sliced a couple fresh large hotdog rolls and loaded them up with the sausage and a very heavy slather of the mix on top and WOW! Now, it can use a little tweaking but they were PDG! And I'd have never thought of putting anything mayo on a sausage !! But, I was slightly inebriated, you know......
icon_wink.gif

Bill

Originally posted by Bryan S:
Bill, I'm the other way. What don't I put mayo on. LOL!
icon_biggrin.gif
I've heard that about you.
icon_razz.gif
icon_wink.gif

It wasn't pretty (everything was a tan color) and it was a bit messy but it sure tasted gooooood! Thanks for the post!
icon_cool.gif

Bill

Originally posted by Bill Hays:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just for you Bill.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_razz.gif
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just for you Bill.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
toofunnytx7.gif

Thanks, I needed that!
icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

Just discovered this thread so I apologize if my question is covered elsewhere.
Anybody make mayo from scratch? I mean egg,water,lemom juice,salt,white pepper and cooking or grapeseed oil. In a bowl with a whisk. Best stuff you ever put on a BLT!!! or anything else. Chage it slightly and use EVOO and some herbs and you have aoili which is as good but tastes different. Just my USD.02.

There is a thread here on homemade mayo. I make it often. Best for BLTs with home-cured bacon, ripe tomatoes, good romaine and good bread.

(You need garlic in there for it to be aioli!)

Made this for a party the other day and it was pretty good. I had some left over and tried after the mayo had a couple of days to truly absorb the chipotle flavor. Wow! It was spectacular. Now I know why Bryan says you need to let it sit for at least 4 hours. A day would probably be better if you can stop yourself from using the mayo.
Lance

Originally posted by Lance:
Now I know why Bryan says you need to let it sit for at least 4 hours. A day would probably be better if you can stop yourself from using the mayo.
Lance, glad you liked it. I've thought about changing it to making it a day ahead. It really doesn't taste that good right after making it, still tastes really heavy on the mayo. After 4 hrs. it's better, but after 24 hrs. it really takes on a whole different flavor. Maybe I'll do an edit to leave it sit in the fridge for at least 8 hrs. with a min of 4 hrs. if you are short on time, but longer is better.
EDIT: I changed it.
icon_wink.gif

bryan that stuff is fantastic. we just slathered some on some burgers that were very well received.
i got a giant chuck roll is resting and made both your finishing sauce and the mayo. ive been meaning to try this for awhile and im sure its gonna be made alot around here.

2-3 CANNED CHIPOTLE CHILES IN ADOBO SAUCE (if small use 3)
1 TEASPOON ADOBO SAUCE
2 TEASPOONS WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
1 CUP MAYONNAISE
REMOVE SEEDS AND MINCE CHIPOTLE'S TO A PASTE. ADD ALL INGREDIENTS TOGETHER, STIR UNTIL COMBINED. REFIGERATE AT LEAST 8 HOURS. In a pinch, you can just fridge for 4 hrs. and use, but 8 is better. For the best flavor, mix it all up and fridge it for at least 24 hrs. before using. ENJOY

EDIT: You can add 3 or more TBS of well drained horesradish to this for even more excitement.
icon_wink.gif

When using the CANNED CHIPOTLE CHILES IN ADOBO SAUCE, can the adobo sauce in the can be used for the sauce in this sauce recipe? I bought a small can of these and was just wondering. BTW the can was $1.29 for reference. Thanks Vince

Originally posted by Vince B:
When using the CANNED CHIPOTLE CHILES IN ADOBO SAUCE, can the adobo sauce in the can be used for the sauce in this sauce recipe? I bought a small can of these and was just wondering. BTW the can was $1.29 for reference. Thanks Vince
Yep Vince, that's the Adobo sauce you use.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks Bryan. I used what was in the can and it turned out great. I took some to work in the mayo jar and the guys were like *** is that? Needless to say they went nuts over it after tasting it. Went very well with taco's. Thank you for the great tip. Vince

Brian,
I just took some of the mayo with some tri tips to my wife's potluck and the people went nuts over it. Everyone really liked the heat even the people who normally don't like things spicey. I must have had 10 people ask me for the recipe. Thank you for coming up with this one. It really goes well with a tri tip sandwich. Now my wife's co-workers all think I am a barbecue master.
Lance

I am a Miracle Whip kinda guy, but this will work great with plain mayo too.

I use chipotles in abodabo sauce (not seeded, just finely minced) and add to Miricle Whip along with some Honey Mustard.

This makes an AWESUME condiment for a ham sandwich, burgers, hot dogs, or what ever!

i make chipotle mayo often, this is my favorite version.

mayo
just a little bit mexican sour cream, definitely less amount than mayo
chipotle peppers from the can
chippotle sauce from the can
finely minced garlic
lime or lemon juice

and i think this last ingredient just takes it to a higher level. havent seen anyone on this thread mention it.

chopped cilantro

enjoy

every time i think i've cruised through all of the useful information on this site, i find another gem..........i will be making a batch of this stuff this weekend!!!!

thanks to all!

Back