Chipotle Mayonnaise

Im making a batch of this tonight when I get home. Im a huge mayo freak...mayo on hot dogs, mayo on french fries. This sounds like it would be great with fries.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Babek:
Im a huge mayo freak...mayo on hot dogs, mayo on french fries. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG There is another out there. I'm not alone anymore.
icon_biggrin.gif
Bryan

Made this last night and it is great. Im thinking of switching sour cream for the mayo and making it into a chip dip. Almost as good as the horseradish sauce...cant remember who posted it...it had capers in it...mmmmmm.

OMG, this stuff is GREAT! I had been soooooo looking forward to it, having never even had a chipotle anything (that I'm aware of---i'm sure I have in real life, but not to my knowledge). Anyway, being a lazy sort of grrrl I just mixed canned chipotles (about 6 small ones) and some of the adobo sauce and 1 cup of mayo. Yowza, is that GOOD EATS. I'd like to add some garlic cuz I think it would become an aioli sauce that way (excellent on rotiss chicken!).

I agree that a chipotle dip would rock.

Here's my version of this:

Smokey Cilantro Mayo

1 C Mayo
1 TBSP Lime Juice
1 TBSP Honey
1 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce
1 Clove Garlic, Minced
1/4 TSP Cumin
Pinch Salt
Pinch Black Pepper
2 TBSP Chopped Cilantro
1 Chipotle Pepper Minced

You can put more Chiples in if you're a chile head but I think the key to this is to not go real hot so you don't mask the other flavors.

Enjoy

Bob S.

This is a chipotle paste that I always have in my fridge. You can use as much as you want to add to your mayo for an aioli. It keeps forever.
* Exported from MasterCook *

Chipotle Paste

Recipe By :Jane Cherry
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Condiments Mexican food
Mexican style food (all) Toppings

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 8 oz. can chipotle chile -- in adobe sauce
5 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon oregano, Mexican
2 tablespoons oil -- or olive oil

Place all ingredients in a Cuisinart and puree. Store in a container in the refrigerator.
Serving suggestions:
Uses: Spread on Chicken or Roasts before baking
Use a rub for BBQ
Spread on Salmon and Broil

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 33 Calories; 3g Fat (91.2% calories from fat); trace Protein; 1g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; trace Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat.

NOTES :
Spicy Mexican Chili Paste used to to create of other Sauces and Toppings
Storage: Refrigerator

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Im thinking of switching sour cream for the mayo and making it into a chip dip <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I agree that a chipotle dip would rock. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Take a portion of the chipotle mayo and add about a half-part sour cream (e.g. 1 cup chipotle mayo, 1/2 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)). Punch the heat back up with a little more mashed chipotle, adobo, or both, or a few dashes of Tabasco. I add a couple cloves of mashed blanched garlic and the juice of a small Key lime in mine. Great as a veg or chip dip, or a drizzle sauce for pulled-pork enchiladas or brisket tostadas.

I love chipotle mayo... but I'm not too fond of canned chipotles in adobo. If you can find them (or make them yourself), I also recommend just using chipotles proper (i.e., dried and in a bag, not canned in adobo sauce). In the can, they take on mostly adobo flavor and lose a lot of the smokey chipotle flavor.

When I do mayo with the dried, non-canned chiles, I use 3-4 chipotles and cover it with about 1/3 cup of boiling water. I cover it for about 20 minutes. After that, I take them out, discard the seeds, then throw them in a processor with a bit of the water, about a cup of mayo and a pinch of salt. It makes for a really good, deep chipotle flavored mayo.

Anyhow, that's just me...

Bryan.. thanks. This stuff rocks and it has not aged yet... it will be great on the Christmas Brisket! Thanks again!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> ...I also recommend just using chipotles proper ... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> yeah, I like it that way too, I use dried chipotles, Chipotle Tabasco and only 1 tsp worcestershire. It's more like mayo that way, the original recipe has more liquid so is thinner, like a sauce.

I find the Chipotles in Adobo Sauce and Chipotle Powder are two very different flavors and I prefer the powdered. But that's just me. I love Chipotle Mayo and make mine with 50/50 Mayo and Yogurt and add chipotle powder to taste. Makes a great dipping sauce for BBQ wraps.

Chipotles in adobo sauce is usually made with moritas, jals that have been smoked but not for nearly as long as chipotles, hence they are quicker and less expensive to produce, and are not as smoky. They're very good when you want the additional flavors of the sauce. For instance, I'll often puree a small can of chipotles adobados with a half a large bottle of Cholula, and then re-bottle it. I also prefer true chipotles in chipotle mayo.

Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I just found it ... but Oh Man! You have to try this on Blooming Onions, or rings !

:Edit: Okay... I thought it was an old thread. D'oh! there's a second page !
icon_rolleyes.gif

Penzey's calls their dried chipotle peppers Moritas as well. They have 15,000 scoville units, but the powder I have from them seems much hotter than that. Maybe I put too much into my turkey tenderloin sauce. You can add the powder to any of your spice rubs for additional layer.

Don't be confused with chili powder, which is usually a blend of cumin, oregano and red pepper of whatever variety. I always buy the ground powders of a certain 100% variety and add the other spices myself to the dish itself. I prefer hot NM chile powder as my 'standard', but to me, it's never hot. For mild, I love ancho.

What Penzey's sells, whole and powdered, are moritas.I should have noted in my post above that any smoked chile pepper (the jal by far the most common) is called chipotle. The shorter-smoked, red ones (usually deep red or purply red) are still a bit pliable when finished. These are moritas (translates as 'little blackberries') or chipotles moritas. The more expensive, long-smoked, drier (crisp even), grayish-tan ones are chipotles tipicos, or simply tipicos.

I, too, prefer 100% chile powders. I like the NM too, and am quite fond of Guajillo. Ancho I like for its mildness or when I'm looking to add a rounder, more fruity note to the other powders.

Kevin: Do you grind your own guajillo and do you use the seeds? I've only been able to find whole dried here, and Penzey's doesn't carry it.

Jane-- Yes, I grind my own. I have a mill I use just for peppers. I toast them lightly first which requires splitting them and removing the stem. Whatever seeds fall off get swept away, whatever seed make it in to the pan get ground.

Btw, I was in Tucson the other day (did you see me wave?); it was a might chilly. Weird winter in the southwest this year.

Hey Bryan (or anyyone else for that matter), how much do you pay for a small can of chipotle with adobo? I scored some yesterday for .39 cents each can, which seems like a good price.

Erik

Originally posted by Erik G:
Hey Bryan (or anyyone else for that matter), how much do you pay for a small can of chipotle with adobo? I scored some yesterday for .39 cents each can, which seems like a good price.

Erik
DUDE! Yeah great price for them. The small cans I get here run almost $2.00

OBTW this mayo goes great on hard boiled eggs or use in place of the mayo in Deviled eggs.
icon_wink.gif

I made a wrap with grilled chicken breasts (marinated in your roadside chicken recipe), spinach, tomatoes and a vinaigrette. I am kicking myself for not making the chipotle mayo, maybe next time.

Erik

Back