Chimney starter.....

so... silly question... how do you use them? do you just place it right under the chimney? does it wick up like a candle?

Yes this works fine, usually. If it's realy windy I put my chimney on the fire grate of my 22.5, with the lid upwind so it acts as a wind break. You can also wedge your fire starting cube into the chimney grate, put in your briquettes, then light the fire starter by reaching up through the bottom with a chimney lighter. That way the design of the bottom part of the chimney acts as it's own windbreak.

I'm old fashioned and still read the newspaper every day so I always have a supply. I also don't like the paper ash in my grills or smokers. I have a couple cinderblocks stacked in a small garden area just off of my deck and this is where I light my chimney. Don't worry to much about ash blowing unless it's super windy - I just use a wisk broom and sweep it into my garden.

Originally posted by Becky M-M:
someone just mentioned they were like 3 or 4 bucks for 24.... i didnt realize they were so cheap. i average about 7-10 cooks a month... so they should last me at least two months. not bad at all.

so... silly question... how do you use them? do you just place it right under the chimney? does it wick up like a candle?

Becky,
I've used in weber cubes both two ways. Most of the time I just put a cube on a paver stone that I have dedicated for just putting my chimney on. I light the cube then center my chimney over it. I've also placed the cube in the chimney at the bottom and lite the starter through the bottom of the chimney. This is a little harder to do than just putting it on the stone.

I would not use a paver stone that is part of a patio or anything else where appearance matters. The cube will discolor and potentially crack the stone. Those things get very hot. I use one of those long butane lighters to start the cube. They ignite very easily.

Originally posted by Jon Des.:
Becky,

If you can find these in the organic section at your grocery store, they're worth a try. I think you get triple the cubes for $1 or $2 more than the Weber cubes and 1 cube will easily start your chimney. I had a lot of trouble getting the Weber cubes off-season and found these.

9fb5e488.jpg

Plus, you just can't beat an "environmentally friendly" fire.

They have these at my local Fresh Market. It was only like 5 or 6 bucks for the bag of 72, so I bought it. I don't think I'll ever go back to the Weber starter cubes. These things burn hotter and longer (yeah, don't care so much about how "environmentally friendly" they are), and are cheaper by unit. One of these things gets my coals started fast, every time.

I turned the grate in the bottom of my chimney upside down, so it forms a V in the bottom. I stick a Weber starter cube in the middle of the V, pour the briqs on top, and light the cube. I hold the chimney up with one hand and hold a blowtorch underneath to light the cube. I'm sure a long match or lighter would work as well as the blowtorch.

I use my weed burner most of the time now, but if you put a little cheap veg oil on some inexpensive wadded paper towell burns longer than newspaper with much less, if any ash blowing around

I've found the Weber chimney starter works best with a full load of charcoal. With just a little briquettes the lighting seems to be uneven and long in duration. Never had an issue using two sheets of newswrap.

I use the burner from my turkey fryer to light mine. Fill the chimney, light the burner, and 3 mins later we've got lit coals. I've actually never used the burner to fry a turkey, it's what I use with my discada, but it's also perfect for lighting the chimney. No ash flying around, that's for sure!

I use the weber starter cubes also. I set one on top of an empty inverted tuna can (for a little height), light it and set the chimney of coals over it on my OTS. Works like a charm. No ash flying around, no smell.

Originally posted by Len Dennis:
Takes about 15 min with 2 sheets of paper. I have a hard time getting the paper doughnut to stay in the bottom prior to lighting so I just lay the doughnut on an hibachi grill (no oil needed), light it on three sides and then put the chimney on top.

DO NOT put the chimney on paving stones prior to lighting it. You'll damage the stones. Either on an unlit bbq rack or heat-resistant bricks/stones.

That chimney will get red hot.

I lit mine on my asphalt driveway and had the asphalt under it bubbling from the heat after I moved it to a different location.

Depends on what I am cooking as how I light mine. Oil on leftover paperwork from bills for most things. I use lighter fluid in the chimney for burgers. Diamond "Strike-A-Fire" starters when I am feeling lazy. Propane plumbing torch if I am only lighting 5-6 coals.

They also make a great hibatchi or to sear meat if you have a grate to fit on top. A Smokey Joe grate, STOK or a CI insert from the Weber grate system works well. It can get it up to 700° easily.

I never did it myself but a guy I used to work with used to make his own starters. I'm not exactly sure what he did but I know he used dryer lint, egg crates then some kind of wax. I'm sure you could look it up on google or something. He was a real cheap skate but he said it worked great. I guess if your a crafty type maybe that might be an option?

Brian

I have made fire place starters and also carried them on back pack trips. Just take a compressed paper egg crate (NOT styrofoam), fill the depressions with saw dust then fill them with melted paraffin wax. After they cool, just cut the sections apart. Each section is a starter. The paraffin soaks into the paper making a perfect edge to light with a match. I have never tried using them when lighting a chimney starter. I KNOW that they would work fine, I just don't know what they might do to taste...

In the meantime, I believe I'll either continue to use newspaper or will use Weber's fire starters with my chimney.

FWIW
Dale53

I used to make fire starters out of dried pine cones, cooked them in what was left of candles, and used them to fire up my wood stoves and fires on back pack trips. Worked like a charm.

Originally posted by Becky M-M:
someone just mentioned they were like 3 or 4 bucks for 24.... i didnt realize they were so cheap. i average about 7-10 cooks a month... so they should last me at least two months. not bad at all.

I set a single cube on the charcoal grate of my Smokey Joe and light it with a match. It's paraffin wax I think so it lights quickly like a candle. I then set the chimney on top. The cube burns for about ten minutes, plenty of time to get any amount of coals going.

Originally posted by Sean H:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Des.:
Becky,

If you can find these in the organic section at your grocery store, they're worth a try. I think you get triple the cubes for $1 or $2 more than the Weber cubes and 1 cube will easily start your chimney. I had a lot of trouble getting the Weber cubes off-season and found these.

9fb5e488.jpg

Plus, you just can't beat an "environmentally friendly" fire.

They have these at my local Fresh Market. It was only like 5 or 6 bucks for the bag of 72, so I bought it. I don't think I'll ever go back to the Weber starter cubes. These things burn hotter and longer (yeah, don't care so much about how "environmentally friendly" they are), and are cheaper by unit. One of these things gets my coals started fast, every time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, I had found these a couple years ago at a local whole foods and they work great! Very cheap and very dependable. That's what I always hated about the newspaper, sometimes it would go out before the coals had caught.

Although, I don't use them anymore since I got my performer
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Rob_Fox:
Sean H what is the name brand of those fire starters you have? I can't read the bag very well.

I just checked mine and it looks like the brand is just "If You Care"

Here is their website and Here is where to find if they're sold in your area.

Back