Chimney Starter Newspaper Issue

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Does anybody else have a problem with the newspaper they use in the chimney starter? I have tried the LA Times and a local paper and neither burns completely. I have a feeling it has to do with the chemicals used in production. I am left with a mess of ashy residue. I'm thinking of switching to an electric starter but I wanted to get other's feedback first.
Thanks
Steve

I just tear up old charcoal bags and use them. Work great so far... seems to burn as clean as possible. How much paper are you using?

I actually used a piece of Houston Chronicle filled with shredder paper (all those darn credit card offers). The first time it wouldn't burn right. When I picked up the chimney, the center of the pile was barely signed. My guess is that I stuffed it to much. The second time I just used a little bit of the shred stuff to make sure the air could get in. Sure enough, it lit perfectly. So I guess try with just a little bit, not too tightly balled up.

I gave up on the newspaper because of the danged ashes it leaves behind.

I'm headed out to get a couple of boxes of the Weber Firestarters right now.

While I agree that using the LA Times as a firestarter fuel is a perfectly good use for that newspaper, I have found that two full pages crumpled lightly work best. Remember it needs a litlle space for air to help it burn.

In addition, I place it on the charcoal grate of my empty Weber Kettle with the bottom vents open. This allows more oxygen to flow up from underneath as opposed to just placing the chimney on flat surface. Finally, use a handheld firstarter (like a cigarette lighter with a 2-3" end) and hold that under the chimney in various spots 'till I get a good burn (usually 2-3 minutes.)

The other alternative is to get a portable plumber's blowtorch at HD and scrap newspaper altogether. I seem to recall that was someone's suggestion on the forum last summer.

No Q today. Rain in So Cal. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

I use the burner for our turkey deep fryer. I set the chimney of charcoal on it and blast the burner for just a couple of minutes until the charcoal gets lit, then move the chimney to the Weber kettle (so I don't get charcoal ashes in the propane burner). Works like a charm, and no newspaper ashes to deal with.

Kelly

Some newspaper just doesn't seem to burn well. The local "free advertising" paper burns the worst, the West Bend Daily News works well.

I agree with what Doug said. You have to make usre there's good air flow. Sometimes I will light 1/2 a chimney and then add more charcoal once that's going strong.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kelly Ratzlaff:
[qb] I use the burner for our turkey deep fryer. I set the chimney of charcoal on it and blast the burner for just a couple of minutes until the charcoal gets lit, then move the chimney to the Weber kettle (so I don't get charcoal ashes in the propane burner). Works like a charm, and no newspaper ashes to deal with.

Kelly [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's the method I use as well...just be sure not to let the chimney get too hot...I let mine sit on the burner just a little too long and the heat caused the bottom grate to warp and it fell partially out as I lifted it off the burner...not fun, luckily I had a pan of water under the burner that caught most of the lit brickets and I was able to hold the grate and remaining brickets in the chimney with my leather welding gloves...

Excellent point, Brett. It doesn't take long at all to get the coals going with this method. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Kelly

2 full pages of the Chicago Tribune crumbled lightly in a ball has worked everytime for me. I always place it in the wind though (always wind here).

I think the Weber Firestarters are the best thing ever for charcoal starting, besides the chimney.

And something about the chimney. I had a Charbroil chimney for a while. Until the bottom rusted/burned out. Then I got another Charbroil because the Lowe's/HD were out of Webers. The only way i knew that the charcoal was ready with the Charbroil was when fire would be coming out of the top. There was no "light coating of grey ash".

After finding this site, I decided to get the Weber chimney - mainly for recipe's sake. That way, if it called for 1 lit and .5 a chimney of unlit, I would have the right amounts.

The unexpected bonus was that the Weber chimney somehow got the very top coals to be ashed over, without the flame coming out of the top, and the bottom coals almost completely used up.

When it comes to grilling, fire, charcoal, and even gassers- -I don't see ANY reason to use anything but Weber products. They rule.

2 full sheets of newspaper, crumpled and rolled into a circle in the chimney with a hole in the middle. Only a tiny pile of ash is left over. Even the colored advertising paper works fine with this method.

Catalogs. Junk mail. Parts of the charcoal bag. Advertisements. I only get about 10 pages of newspaper each week. By the time the charcoals glow it does not seem to matter.

One comment on using newspaper. I've learned that if you add newspaper first and then add charcoal, I've had difficulty lighting the charcoal because any charcoal dust that was poured in with the charcoal seems to smother the fire generated from the newspaper. This especially occurs when you pour out the last of your charcoal in the bag. Also, when you are "recycling" left over charcoal, the ash also tends to smother as well.

I recommend adding the charcoal first. Then shove the newspaper into the bottom of the chimney.

Also when "recycling" charcoal I add a layer of fresh charcoal first and then add the "recycled" charcoal on top of it. This also prevents the little ones from dropping through the chimney.

Works for me.

My #1 method is the side burner on the gasser. 5 minutes and the coals are well lit. #2 is newspaper and I done it in every variation mentioned except this one...add a tablespoon or two of cooking oil to each sheet of newspaper. It will make the fire last a little longer.
--------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I use a cheapo char broil chimney. Gonna break down and get a Weber one of these days. Of course that will involve my having to drive into Round Rock. No Weber here in G Town.

With the cheapo, I have better results as Mark opined. I use veg oil, olive oil, whatever is handy. Seems to make it burn better.

Mike

Steve

Make sure that you don't pack the paper to tight in the starter. I like to keep it on the fluffy side and make sure it in an open area so it get plenty of oxygen. Some of the cheaper chimneys don't have holes higher up on the side like the weber chimney does to allow more air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back