Chimney lighter

I was just pointing out how someone finally put it all together with the chimney and the little stand to put it on.I've been useimg my side burner until the head collapsed on one side,now I'm back using newspaper again.Granted it would be easy to make one if you had the tools and such to work with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chuck_B:
I'll stick with my $0.50 newspaper and a lighter...$40 for the whole thing plus propane...no thanx! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto.

I think a sheet of paper towel with vegetable oil on it is a BIG improvement over the newspaper. It burns MUCH hotter, it produces almost NO ASH, and has none of the rauchy smell of burning newspaper. Give it a try -- you too may change.

Rich

I've been using one of these for years. Works great, and can serve an alternate purpose!

icon_biggrin.gif

JimT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think a sheet of paper towel with vegetable oil on it is a BIG improvement over the newspaper. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. Never has failed me. I use the oiled towel to oil the grate, then use it to light the chimney.

I use one sheet in most cases. One-and-a-half for denser lump.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey Elks:
how many sheets of paper towel are you guys using? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've only used 1 full sheet and had great success. I just crumble into a loose ball, hold on the end of an oil bottle, tip it over and back, turn the ball and repeat twice more. Not a lot of oil but it sure generates a lot of heat.

We do a fair amount of outdoor frying, so my high pressure propane burner is always hooked up and ready to go. For ten years I have simply set the chimney on it for about 30 seconds, remove it, and let it sit for about another six or seven minutes to be ready to go. It works great.

If you are in a hurry, get a second chimney starter and fill each one only half-way with charcoal. Light them at the same time. It really speeds up the start time, especially if you are using the propane burner.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C. Moore:

If you are in a hurry, get a second chimney starter and fill each one only half-way with charcoal. Light them at the same time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's brilliant!! I hardly ever use my 2nd one. Now I will.

Rich,
do you put the paper towel under the chimney like you would newspaper or inside under the charcoal? I really hate the smoke and smell from the newspaper and I think useing my CharGriller side burner is what caused it to collapse on one side.

Ok I'll step outside the box. I used the manual method for starting my chimneys (have two) for years. Yep newspapers worked oiled towels worked.

That said I picked up one of these back when they were a new item and were $5-10 less than they are selling for now.

It continues to work great and is super convenient. Lights every time. A bit of BBQ jewelry, sure - but it's been a great, convenient tool. No searching for paper, lighter, etc. And as typical with gas lighting methods no hunks of paper ash floating around.

Nice to get a load lit quick when the Performer is otherwise occupied. Just a quick and fast light every time withing seconds. Came with a quality, nice sized chimney as well. I can use my other chimney's on it if I want.

But sure I still like to play with matches all the methods above work just fine
icon_wink.gif

All I do is place a small pizza screen, grate on top of the flange that holds the included chimney that comes with the unit and set the Weber chimney on that. Lights just fine, thanks
icon_wink.gif

Back