Chili (w/ beans) mystery ingredient: Not chocolate

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
Today, I made the usual pot of chili. In the fridge I had 1/2 can of pumpkin leftover from pumpkin waffles. I needed a thickener and something to cut the acid...in goes pumpkin. It was quite good.
Also, I used chili 9000 from penzeys. It is at least twice as strong as the usual chili powder. Of course it is much more complex too.

Pumpkin is very common in a popular Latin soup dish called Sancocho. Sancocho typically has beans as its prominent ingredient (amongst other things like chicken, pork, beef, yucca....). They use it as a thickener for this dish and it is delicious. It has more of a south american/latin flavor profile than does chili, but is still similar in many of the ingredients.

Today, I made the usual pot of chili. In the fridge I had 1/2 can of pumpkin leftover from pumpkin waffles. I needed a thickener and something to cut the acid...in goes pumpkin. It was quite good.
Also, I used chili 9000 from penzeys. It is at least twice as strong as the usual chili powder. Of course it is much more complex too.

I like to use potato flakes as a thickener for chile. They work really well and do not change the flavor. I also really like the Ancho chile powder. We don't have Penzeys up here unfortunately. I hear a lot of great things about their seasonings

Brian thanks for the post...there are very few NEW ideas. I try to think out of the box. Sometimes I end up in the weeds, sometimes I cross a well worn that's just new to me.

Brian thanks for the post...there are very few NEW ideas. I try to think out of the box. Sometimes I end up in the weeds, sometimes I cross a well worn that's just new to me.

Steve, we always appreciate the info and your impressions! Keep 'em coming.... ;)

Back