Chili oil with aromatics

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Olympian
Most commercial chili oils are kinda flavorless to me. So, like any other heat seeking human I decided to make my own.

1726260250346.jpeg

The base recipe: https://thewoksoflife.com/how-to-make-chili-oil/

I used cinnamon stick, star anise, bay leaves and cloves in my oil. I made the smaller recipe amount.

I DID use crushed red peppers BUT I ran them through the spice grinder to make them into a powder. This way the oil really takes on the heat and will also get added to the food I drizzle this oil onto.

A pinch of salt is needed in the final recipe. It just help the flavors out.

Last edited:
"heat seeking human"

I'm going to have to borrow this phrase.

My family is decidedly heat-averse, but I'm always intrigued! Can't wait to see what you use it on.

Wowzers Brett thats a lot of Chili oil.. on zee hot scale how hot is it...?? 1-10....

If you haven't tried it, chili oil is very tasty on Mac & Cheese. Start slow and see what heat you like though.

Wowzers Brett thats a lot of Chili oil.. on zee hot scale how hot is it...?? 1-10....

If you haven't tried it, chili oil is very tasty on Mac & Cheese. Start slow and see what heat you like though.
i might not be a good judge of heat as i used to eat really hot foods.

i can say this is a very warming heat with a long finish. i steamed some wontons to try it out and it was zesty and flavorful. not a blow your scalp off but a full mouths worth of heat that lasted. so maybe a 7/10 with 10 being habanero hot.

i ground the peppers up to increase the heat extraction into the oil. i loke to drizzle the oil into soups and whatnot. i added some to my kung pao leftovers today and was sniffling.

the recipe is legit. i think i used around 1-2 cups of oil.

it'll be on some chili garlic bleu cheese fries i have planned for this sunday's dinner.

Oh, homemade chili oil!

Out of necessity I bought chili oil again. Homemade has so much more depth to it. I became obsessed with homemade "lao gan ma" chili oil. Highly recommend.

The super authentic way may smoke dried chili. Its on the list to try again.

Back