Chicken Wings on the WSM?

Glenn M

TVWBB Member
I'm looking for something for people to pick at for an upcoming party and was wondering if anyone had any experience/advice about doing chicken wings.

If these are good does the skin come out nicely?

This is the recipie I made this weekend.

12 whole wings or 24 or whatever you wanted I made 12.

Shake in a bag with Rice wine vinegar and your favorite Rub or season to taste i let it sit in the fridge for 2 hours.

If you want crispy skin your not going to get it with low temps on the WSM.

I grilled direct over the heat on my performer kettle medium heat and added a few chunks of cherry to the fire. I cooked until brwon and crispy I think it took me about 25-30min.

Sauce I used Franks Hot sauce with melted butter along with fresh crushed garlic. I satued the garlic with butter before hand so it wouldnt taste bitter. Heated the whole mixture and tossed with the wings.

Also another quick great appetizer on the WSM is Sausage.

Good Luck
Rick

Oh, and for appetizers, ABTs are impossible to beat. That is, if you can manage to put any out without eating them yourself.

Thanks guys,

Darrin, without trying to sound like an idiot here what's an ABT?

My other equipment is a large Vermont Castings gasser. Is it possible to smoke them on the WSM and crisping up the skin on the grill? Other way around?

Here is an account and a pic of some chicken wings done on the wsm. Brined and then seasoned (no salt in seasoning) and smoked with guava. Very tasty with crispy skin.

Guava Chicken Wings

I've also done this recipe for more of a hotwing approach
Hot Cherry Wings

I hope this helps. I know many don't like doing wings on the WSM, but I for one am a big fan as a way to do something different.

Tell us what you come up with.

Josh

A few weeks ago, after a nice rib smoke, the WSM was still running well so I quickly thawed out a couple of packages of COSTCO wings, added olive oil and some BAM and threw them on the top grill for about 90 minutes or....fantastic taste. They froze really well (foil and zip lock). A friend came over and said "Lets go to Buffalo Wild Wings...I pulled these babies out, 30 minutes in a 300 oven and all thought of going out "left the building"
chickenwings2.jpg

yes.. smoke them on the WSM, crisp em up on the gasser, then toss with your favorite sauce...

I love the taste of the smokey rub with just plain Buffalo sauce (cayenne/butter)

100_1170.jpg

Those hot cherry wings are outstanding. I have made them a few times.

I am lazy and found some frozen chicken wings that are really good smoked. Takes about 1.5-2 hours. They are made by a company called Pilgrims Pride and are called Blazin wings. They have a breading on them and are really good. Sams here just quit carrying them a couple of weeks ago. I think Wally World still has them. We also have another midwest chain that carries them. Also the product isn't consistent. I have opened a bag and was as mild as can be, I have opened another and couldn't eat more than 4 because of the heat.

Just a note if you are in the midwest the above stated wings at my local Meijer store is selling them 2 for 1 or 2 for $13 this week.

Back