Chicken Under a Brick?

Bill Rogers

TVWBB Member
Has anyone ever tried smoking Chicken Under a Brick in their Weber Smoker? All of the recipes that I have found seem be for a direct grilling method. If you have tried it are any secrets that you would care to share?

Bill

Well I don't have an answer for you Bill but I'm glad you asked 'cause I have wondered about this method myself. I'm not sure what the advantage is to using the bricks as opposed to not using them. Thanks for asking.

I put a brick on a spatchcocked chicken once to keep it flat.

I didnt see any cooking benefits other than that.

The brick flattens out the chicken and promotes even heating.

When cooking in a pan, the brick will promote more contact with meat and pan thereby a shorter cook time.

Yea im with you all. But when smoking i think the brick will leave som nasty unsmoked areas.(tattoos)

Cant really se any pros with the method.

And exept the grillmarks(direct),i cant really se any pro´s with this when cooking over fire.

Russell:"When cooking in a pan, the brick will promote more contact with meat and pan thereby a shorter cook time."

Thats another story,and i can se a point.

On a grill, the bricks or whatever else might be used (CI pan for example), as said above, makes the chicken flatter and puts more of the chicken in contact with the grate for faster cooking and crispier skin. Using the WSM, I wouldn't bother.

I don't know if there is any real truth to this but I thought have a brick or skillet on chicken keeps it from clenching up like a fist and turns out more tender when grilled on higher heat.

I don't believe it would make chicken come out better when smoking at lower temps.

Even thickness, even cooking. Even juiciness. In a pan or on the grill. You preheat the bricks before starting to cook. I've done it on the stove top (a Moroccan style) a few times and once on the grill. When I did it on the grill I used the method on America's Test Kitchen.

You basically avoid wet marinade when doing it on the grill, put and herb paste under the skin. You minimize the dripping that way.

Skin side down off the fire then skin up on the fire. Then finish over the fire with the bricks off turning it a few times until it's done.

In the ATC video they actually cook it on a vintage Weber Performer:

Weber Brick Chicken

Unfortunately you might have to pay or do a trial membership to view. I'm sure there's other examples on the web if you do a search on grilled brick chicken.

Back