Chicken Thighs

Tom K.

TVWBB Member
I'm thinking about smoking a bunch of chicken thighs that I'm planning to pulse in a food processor after they are done to see if they'll add extra (smokey) flavor to a recipe for chicken sausage patties that I have just seen. I'm not certain if I'd be better off using boneless or bone-in thighs for the meat in this instance, and I'd appreciate any thoughts on this which others may have. Also, can anyone advise me what temp I should shoot for with the thighs? Thanks.

As for internal temp, I pull at 170 in the thighs. I think I would stick with the bone-in thighs for low/slow cooking. Probably just an old "persons" tale, but I think the bone-in adds something to that slow, low temp cooking process.

Paul

Interesting concept. I've made lots of chicken sausage (made from thigh meat and skin) and smoked some of it--usually I just grill or pan-fry it--but I've not smoked some meat first with the intention of adding it to an uncooked mix. Post your results please.

On normal smoking circumstances I would agree with Paul and say use bone-in only. If my understanding is correct--that the smoked meat is intended to go into a raw mix to be cooked later--then I would smoke to a much lower temp-- ~140. Either bone-in or boned would be fine. Cool on the counter on a rack over a sheetpan then get into the fridge to thoroughly cool before use in the sausage mix.

Yes, the smoked chick will impart good smoked flavor. I used this concept with a hamburger recipe adding 25-30% bbq pork butt chopped to raw ground beef, form patties and, grill. It was a wonderful flavor addition.

Back